Kentucky people

I was just wondering if the KY State Fair Poultry Show is typical or not. I went on Saturday just to see the chickens and was somewhat disappointed by what I saw. I've been raising chickens for a little over three years now but this is the first poultry show that I have ever been to. There were some birds there that were very nice - Briarridge Bantams, Jason Powell, Marty Short and Dan Stoltzfus (probably just butchered the spelling on that name), all had nice birds and there were some others whose names I can't remember that also had some very nice and obviously well cared for birds. However, there were far too many birds there that . . . well, let's just say I would not have brought them to a show in that condition. I realize some of them probably looked better when they first arrived - seems like they had to be there a long time. There were sure a lot of, well, filthy cages to be exact and some of the LF birds barely had room to turn around. It was rather depressing
sad.png
. Are the cages always crammed that close at shows? I noticed that the some rabbit cages had straw flakes put between the cages as separators - seems like that would be a good idea for the chickens too. I would not have been at all happy to leave any of my birds there overnight, much less for 4 or 5 days. And why would you bring a chicken whose breed standard calls for 5 toes per foot if that particular bird had only 4? Saw a couple of DQs for that as well as for birds too young and wrong sex.
hu.gif
I was kind of surprised to see things like that. Is there a qualifying show to enter the state fair show? I was hoping to see more LF Faverolles too but I only saw 4 or 5 all entered by the same person. Its kind of pointless to me to show if there is only yourself for competition. Still, I did see some super nice birds on "champion row" and I'm glad I went. I was considering showing in the Bluegrass Poultry Assoc, show in October but now I think I will just go and check things out first.

I was just wondering if the KY State Fair Poultry Show is typical or not. I went on Saturday just to see the chickens and was somewhat disappointed by what I saw. I've been raising chickens for a little over three years now but this is the first poultry show that I have ever been to. There were some birds there that were very nice - Briarridge Bantams, Jason Powell, Marty Short and Dan Stoltzfus (probably just butchered the spelling on that name), all had nice birds and there were some others whose names I can't remember that also had some very nice and obviously well cared for birds. However, there were far too many birds there that . . . well, let's just say I would not have brought them to a show in that condition. I realize some of them probably looked better when they first arrived - seems like they had to be there a long time. There were sure a lot of, well, filthy cages to be exact and some of the LF birds barely had room to turn around. It was rather depressing
sad.png
. Are the cages always crammed that close at shows? I noticed that the some rabbit cages had straw flakes put between the cages as separators - seems like that would be a good idea for the chickens too. I would not have been at all happy to leave any of my birds there overnight, much less for 4 or 5 days. And why would you bring a chicken whose breed standard calls for 5 toes per foot if that particular bird had only 4? Saw a couple of DQs for that as well as for birds too young and wrong sex.
hu.gif
I was kind of surprised to see things like that. Is there a qualifying show to enter the state fair show? I was hoping to see more LF Faverolles too but I only saw 4 or 5 all entered by the same person. Its kind of pointless to me to show if there is only yourself for competition. Still, I did see some super nice birds on "champion row" and I'm glad I went. I was considering showing in the Bluegrass Poultry Assoc, show in October but now I think I will just go and check things out first.
Well to be Blunt If you have high expectations you will always be disappointed. Your tone is a little harsh!! Most of the entries are by kids (FFA,4-H), alot of them are getting experience and constructive criticism to better them and their birds. This type of show is not like The Bluegrass, or Crossroads type shows. Sorry you were so disappointed by Our State Fair. I however enjoyed it quite highly!! Learned alot saw lovely birds of all types. Can't wait till next year.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Braclin on this one as I sell a lot of birds to FFA and 4H kids locally and more than one high schooler had my birds represented at the fair when we were there Friday. The state fair is an open exhibition and the majority of entries are from the up and coming generation who are proud of the birds that they have raised from hatchery stock or from birds bought from the neighbor down the road. Don't go into it expecting the pedigrees that you would find at a breed specific or club show because that is not the purpose. I learned a lot from entering birds into the state fair over the years and showed the only partridge plymouth rocks entered for several years when I had a small breeding flock. I brought the birds because I myself was proud of them and the only way to learn the specifics of the showing game is to participate and learn as you go. The DQ's are a good way for the exhibitor to learn the breed standard and what to look for in improving their flock.

The cage sizes are standard for most bird shows you will see and a mature black langshan or brahma is going to fill it up. The state fair actually has a good crew of workers that were filling food and water containers as I was there Friday and added more shavings to several cages as needed. The water cups will always get knocked over and make a mess of the bedding every single day. All in all I was very impressed by the increased number of birds that were represented this year and there were some real gems amongst the entries in both LF and bantam breeds. Kudos to the winners and best of luck next year to the other exhibitors.

Well to be Blunt If you have high expectations you will always be disappointed. Your tone is a little harsh!! Most of the entries are by kids (FFA,4-H), alot of them are getting experience and constructive criticism to better them and their birds. This type of show is not like The Bluegrass, or Crossroads type shows. Sorry you were so disappointed by Our State Fair. I however enjoyed it quite highly!! Learned alot saw lovely birds of all types. Can't wait till next year.

Braclin,

I apologize as I did not mean to come across in such a negative manner or to step on any toes. As I said, this was the first poultry show I had ever been to and obviously have much to learn. I did learn a lot and enjoyed getting to read the judges comments about the birds and to compare the placings. I certainly meant no insult to any of the 4-H or FFA youth as I have been involved with 4-H myself and know that a lot of the kids work really hard and often do a better job with their animals than many adults. One of the reasons I went to the show was because I would like to provide birds to the 4-H kids that they can raise and show and wanted a better idea of what I was getting involved in. So, again, I apologize and will just keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open while I try to learn more.

I'm glad that people acknowlege the hard work the FFA and 4-H kids do! Also I wanted to let everyone know there is another chicken and small animal trade in Lexington this saturday. PM me if you want to learn more!
smile.png

I'm glad that people acknowlege the hard work the FFA and 4-H kids do! Also I wanted to let everyone know there is another chicken and small animal trade in Lexington this saturday. PM me if you want to learn more!
smile.png

I'm a big supporter of 4-H/FFA. I was a member of both. I was a FFA Officer and then a Adult Leader for 4-H. Both are very wonderful programs especially in rural areas. No toes were stepped on but sometimes we should realize that were not the only ones that read these forums. Who is Marty Short?? He is from my town and noone has ever heard of him. Saw his name on the Bluegrass Poultry App. at the State Fair and was like huh?? KyBoy is the swap the same one that Caseman is putting on?? It has been being advertised for this Saturday in Lexington.

Man I need to go to the poultry swap in Lex, but it just keeps falling on weekends with other commitments. I need to focus down and sell some birds.

Back
Top Bottom