Key West aka Gypsy Chickens Thread :)

Hi there. Just ran across this thread and would like to join in if there is an interest.

I just got back from KW a week ago. Been going since 1973 & have loved the chickens ever since. I'm retired on a horse farm in Michigan & have 6 ISA Browns for eggs. Raised 18 CornishX for the freezed 2 years ago.
I've always wanted to see if I could have a couple of the KW chickens here in Mi. Maybe not a pair but 1 or 2 hens to keep my flock going since they are so broody. Do you think they would do OK in the winter here? My coop is pretty snug but since they are a tropical bird I just don't know. Anyone have experience with these in a northern climate?

Here's some pics of the recent 'crele-like' colored males. I have been trying to work on towards Crele in the KW but don't have all that much to work with so it will be a slow process lol. I will have to get one of the father's pic up later. He really hates his pic taken lol. The father of these is much lighter golden colored. I think they are still a little too orangy brassy in the hackles and saddles and could have more defined barring in their hackles/saddles. Open to comments for further improvement....:) There are two cockerals colored like this.
900x900px-LL-b89439f8_crelekw.jpeg

900x900px-LL-2d774b08_KWcockeral.jpeg

900x900px-LL-8156b815_KWcockeral1.jpeg
Hi, this thread is pretty slow, If you should have enough Gypsy Eggs to sell some this year please contact me, I would like a start of them please!!! Thanks, Lynn

These are such beautiful and unique birds, I would love to see the interest in them and this thread take off, they deserve to be preserved for the future as a truly unique native chicken!!! If you raise them and have pics please share, if you have pure eggs for sale or to give away to help someone get started please let us know!!! Thanks, Lynn in Okla.

I know this is an old thread but I have 23 of these birds and can get about 50 more tomorrow. I did not realize people wanted them. How do I source them out? I have 11 chicks that hatched out yesterday. I have 12 more under a hen, and I have about 50 or more birds to round up. I would love to find them great homes for people that actually want them.

Also, in case anyone is interested, these hens will take in anything. And I mean ANYTHING. They will try to hatch out tadpoles if it weren't for the water. They are excellent mothers. They will also take in orphans of other birds such as quail or even a cuckoo. I would love to find them homes. If I don't home them, they will be terrorized by the locals that hate them and the feral cats.

Also, in case anyone is interested, these hens will take in anything. And I mean ANYTHING. They will try to hatch out tadpoles if it weren't for the water. They are excellent mothers. They will also take in orphans of other birds such as quail or even a cuckoo. I would love to find them homes. If I don't home them, they will be terrorized by the locals that hate them and the feral cats.
That is the truth!!! Soon as they get about 6 eggs they automatically go broody lol. You have to take them or they will hide them and try to hatch them. They will also steal other hens eggs and scoot them up underneath their wings and hop into the next nest box with them to add to their own piles lol. I had one going over a 6ft fence with eggs to take into a nest in the woods. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't catch her red-handed (or red-winged lol).

Key West chicken hatched out a baby. Had no clue she was brooding in my shed until I heard peeps. I found her and her baby tucked in a high level shelf along with 3 smooth river rocks. How the rocks got there is anyone's guess. I evicted them both from the shed :)

Back
Top Bottom