1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Key West aka Gypsy Chickens Thread :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by flgardengirl, Jan 18, 2011.

1. sandiklaws

sandiklaws Chillin' With My Peeps

beautiful birds

2. marethere

marethere New Egg

Feb 22, 2010
    South of Flint
    Hi there. Just ran across this thread and would like to join in if there is an interest.

I just got back from KW a week ago. Been going since 1973 & have loved the chickens ever since. I'm retired on a horse farm in Michigan & have 6 ISA Browns for eggs. Raised 18 CornishX for the freezed 2 years ago.
    I've always wanted to see if I could have a couple of the KW chickens here in Mi. Maybe not a pair but 1 or 2 hens to keep my flock going since they are so broody. Do you think they would do OK in the winter here? My coop is pretty snug but since they are a tropical bird I just don't know. Anyone have experience with these in a northern climate?

3. Greybear23

Greybear23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Morrison, Okla.
    Hi, this thread is pretty slow, If you should have enough Gypsy Eggs to sell some this year please contact me, I would like a start of them please!!! Thanks, Lynn

4. johnlogan

johnlogan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Nice looking roo.

5. Greybear23

Greybear23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Morrison, Okla.
    These are such beautiful and unique birds, I would love to see the interest in them and this thread take off, they deserve to be preserved for the future as a truly unique native chicken!!! If you raise them and have pics please share, if you have pure eggs for sale or to give away to help someone get started please let us know!!! Thanks, Lynn in Okla.

6. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I know this is an old thread but I have 23 of these birds and can get about 50 more tomorrow. I did not realize people wanted them. How do I source them out? I have 11 chicks that hatched out yesterday. I have 12 more under a hen, and I have about 50 or more birds to round up. I would love to find them great homes for people that actually want them.

7. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Also, in case anyone is interested, these hens will take in anything. And I mean ANYTHING. They will try to hatch out tadpoles if it weren't for the water. They are excellent mothers. They will also take in orphans of other birds such as quail or even a cuckoo. I would love to find them homes. If I don't home them, they will be terrorized by the locals that hate them and the feral cats.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    That is the truth!!! Soon as they get about 6 eggs they automatically go broody lol. You have to take them or they will hide them and try to hatch them. They will also steal other hens eggs and scoot them up underneath their wings and hop into the next nest box with them to add to their own piles lol. I had one going over a 6ft fence with eggs to take into a nest in the woods. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't catch her red-handed (or red-winged lol).

9. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Key West chicken hatched out a baby. Had no clue she was brooding in my shed until I heard peeps. I found her and her baby tucked in a high level shelf along with 3 smooth river rocks. How the rocks got there is anyone's guess. I evicted them both from the shed :)

[​IMG]

10. theadvocate19

theadvocate19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Brooksville, Florida
    beautiful! How are they all doing now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by