Khaki Campbell ducklings not pipping, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hole was so small, couldn't really see anything, no internal pip though.
sad.png
All I saw was the membrane. If I don't see anything tomorrow I will attempt to make the hole bigger! This egg is small, does this have anything to do with it hatching late?

please DONT randomly tear a hole in the membrane. You can hit a blood vessel and the ducking will die. Yes egg size will dramatically effect a hatch. Smaller what is known as pullet eggs (with chickens) arent set because of this. Having a homemade incubator i would bet your temps were cooler than what your thermometer said which will lengthen the hatching timeline.

Quote:
OK, this egg was the size of most of the others in the hatch, except for one. That one I think was double yolked,and I think one of the embryos died, and the other one developed, and then died because of this. Nothing today,
sad.png
But the humidity is almost to 80%, so maybe the membrane is isn't dried out anymore.

We think it was a pine marten, my dad had a client that had her 10 chickens killed in one night by one and caught it coming back to eat them every night. But neither one of the ducks were in the pen and we didn't find hide or hair (feather) of my drake. Just a bunch of feathers from my duck, and some other stuff in our yard that I won't mention
sickbyc.gif
I just hope PJ (my drake) didn't see the duck get killed, it would have broken his heart.
hit.gif
He was so protective of my duck Captain. One time our neighbor's great pyrreniese got out while my family wasn't home and the ducks were on the pond, PJ swam around the pond in circles to keep the dog distracted, and every time it would go for him he would dive. Captain hid under a pine tree that's branches were sweeping the ground. When we got home my mom started throwing little aspen trees that were growing in our leach-field and yelled at it. My dog, was being a butt-hole and was just egging her on, but as soon as the dog stopped with my duck he ran out of the pond right into my arms. He was soaking wet and was literally weezing. We thought that the dog had gotten Captain because she wasn't anywhere. But when PJ calmed down he uttered out little peeps and Captain answered him, my cousin went down and it took 10 minutes to get her out! They didn't free-range when we weren't home after that. PJ taught me more things than any book, any animal planet documentary. I was totally inspired by his courage and loyalty.

please DONT randomly tear a hole in the membrane. You can hit a blood vessel and the ducking will die.

Normally it's not something I'd suggest, partly because of the reason. I'd never do it myself as i never help unless the duckling has pipped the shell itself already. But I suggested it in this case because, very sadly, I think this little duckling has probably already passed. At close to 33 days after the start of the incubation period with no sign of internal pipping, there isn't a great likelihood that this duckling is going to make it. So, I felt that the risk of tearing the membrane was actually very low, and would help LissyB to work out why the duckling had not hatched.

However I very much hope I am wrong and that there has been further progress. I know how much this egg means to LissyB. Any news?

I figured this duckling hasnt made it, but didnt want to encourage an egg being opened to a passed duckling.

LissyB ---- if you want to try to incubate again I would be happy to ship you fresh Khaki eggs, no cost for the eggs just cover the flat rate shipping. I can send them tomorrow.

Thanks you guys so much! Nothing yet, on a hatchery thread I was told that I should peel back some of the shell not the membrane just to get him started. And unfortunately if this guy doesn't hatch I don't know if my mom will let me get more ducks. She said that after we got our first ducks though... I poked a little hole in the air-sack side, and there was a tiny bit of yellow discharge that I think came from it, no odor and just a tiny bit. Does this mean the duckling is dead?

Back
Top Bottom