Khaki Campbell ducklings not pipping, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure why so many recommend dropping temp for hatching. Not something I do or recommend. Placing the egg in a carton and shining the light down into it works best for late candling.

You'd be hoping to at least see some shadowy movement in the air cell, which is the duckling's head poking into the air cell. If you just see a solid line and nothing at all in the air cell then they probably means he has not broken into the air cell. 32 days is pretty late, unfortunately.

Let us know what you see. Try to make sure the room is really dark. Putting a dark blanket over yourself and the egg can help if it's hard to keep all the light out of the room.

Nothing yet! I candle in a bathroom with the lights off and the door shut, so almost no light, super dark. I sprayed him today, because the bulb burned out and the humidity went way down, when the temp started to rise again, that got the humidity back. I was told that I should poke a little hole in the air-sack to see if I see any movement, should I do this? I candled today and saw a tiny bit of movement, also I see it barely rock a bit every now and then.

If you are absolutely sure that it's Day 32 then, yes, I'd make a little hole in the air cell and enlarge it a bit with tweezers. Stop if you see any bright red blood. If you see no blood you can keep going. Do it in a steamy bathroom.

You can use a little drill bit to make a hole (just twist the drill bit in your fingers). Or the end of tweezers to scrape a little hole. Just be careful when you are holding the egg and doing this - don't squeeze too tight.

We did, the membrane looked white and papery, so I sprayed him, put him on a damp paper towel, and put a damp rag in there. The humidity is at 72% now!
big_smile.png
Maybe I'll wake up to a pip tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom