Khaki Campbell's hatching eggs

Learningstill

Songster
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
I was wondering if anyone has had a khaki duck be successful in hatching her own eggs?
We have a newly 1yr old khaki duck sitting on her nest for maybe a half a month now. Yesterday, I took a flashlight to the eggs and found two bad smelling eggs. There were also some that may also be stinking, but we were not sure, so we put them back. My concern, on majority of the eggs I could barely see any veins. Also, some of the eggs had veins and the baby was on more of one side than across. Is it more likely that the eggs will not make it, because she has never done this before? She is extremely protective over the nest. She only comes outside once a day and some times not even that. Yesterday, she went swimming and went back on the nest.

Thanks in advance!

Do people typically not have the khaki campbell as a breeding duck? Nobody has responded and I really have not read about them on here. Darn, I was hoping someone would have the experience with the duck sitting. When I research it, basically everything does not elaborate, just says they are not broody. Ours is sitting by her own will, she made the nest twice. Oh well....

Hi! There is thread on here titled "The old-fashioned broody thread" and those folks can really help you out! By the sounds of your duck, she IS broody and wanting to hatch those eggs. I have only incubated eggs so I really can't give you advice on what to do with the stinky eggs. I do know that ducks will sometimes toss out the "bad" eggs they know are not good. See those folks on that thread and they can probably help you more than I can. Please keep us updated on the progress though. I LOVE Khaki Campbells.

my Campbell sat on her nest for a long time but none of her eggs hatched. she was so upset. but that was the only time she went broody.

Oh no, did you candle them to see if there was growth before the hatch date? If so, did the eggs just quit? Gosh, I hope she doesn't have that turn out. Sorry to hear that :( thanks for the response.

Okay thanks. I do have a question though. I am new to this site and I tried to start two threads now and both times I get referred to another's thread. Is this how the site works? Do I always go to someone else's and post my stuff there? Thanks
smile.png

No, not necessarily. Perhaps those folks in that particular thread have more knowledge so you could get a more accurate and quick response. It's not always that way. I have no experience in hatching the "old-fashioned" way so to speak and I know those folks do, so they would be better equipped to answer your question. My motto is if in doubt then ask. For specific breed questions, you could do a search for that breed and then post the question in that thread. Or, you could just make your own thread. Either is great. I hope I helped a little.

We've 2 khaki's sitting on nests for the first time. One of them has a chance at hatching eggs as she went broody before we killed the drakes. The other one needs to get broken as she's sitting on unfertilized eggs.

We've 2 khaki's sitting on nests for the first time. One of them has a chance at hatching eggs as she went broody before we killed the drakes. The other one needs to get broken as she's sitting on unfertilized eggs.

What do you mean by broken? Have you looked at the eggs to see if they are fertilized?

My biggest concern is that she is not taking care of them properly, because we know at least two died. They were awful smelling and she still was sitting on them.
She was the nicest duck I have ever seen until her sitting on this nest, now she is nasty. She is my daughter's showmanship duck too. My daughter is only working with her once a week, because she is mean and VERY loud. She bit her leader the other day and he had a welt on the back of his hand. This used to be the duck that toddlers would carry around. When she was a duckling she was very mean. Then when she was around six months she started to be nice and was nice ever since. Hopefully, she will shake out of it quickly after they hatch. She will be going to fair within a couple of weeks from hatching.

Back
Top Bottom