Khaki Duckling Acting Strange

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
I got a new Khaki lady today to be a partner for my original khaki male. The guy originally told me she was 3 weeks old, but she looks way too small for that. I got her home anyways and set her with my other ducks (supervised) but one of them started to nibble on her neck and the size difference is too much for me to be comfortable with so I took her out. Now she's doing this weird gulping movement with her neck, and (I'm not very familiar with ducks so idk if this is normal) but one side of her neck seems much larger than the other. What do I do about them integrating and is she okay?

I got a new Khaki lady today to be a partner for my original khaki male. The guy originally told me she was 3 weeks old, but she looks way too small for that. I got her home anyways and set her with my other ducks (supervised) but one of them started to nibble on her neck and the size difference is too much for me to be comfortable with so I took her out. Now she's doing this weird gulping movement with her neck, and (I'm not very familiar with ducks so idk if this is normal) but one side of her neck seems much larger than the other. What do I do about them integrating and is she okay?
Should I wait for her to get the same size as my other ducks? Or try to integrate them slowly? My guineas and turkeys who were her size treated her like their own immediatley but the mucb bigger ducks kept biting her neck

You need to set up a look no touch pen so they can live side by side for a while. How old are your other ducks?
They've been on look no touch for about four days now. I'm not sure how old she is, maybe a week? And my other ducks are almost 4 weeks now. I let her out yesterday with the others to try and see if they got any better, and they were much better and without incident for about 5 minutes but then one of the ducks grabbed her neck so all the others started to nil her when they came close. Then also, the way I have it set up I have the brooder divided in two with the big ducks on one side and everyone else on the other, and she got through when I was cleaning around it and the big guys started trying to chase her out of it

They still see her as an outsider. It takes time and she is still so small compared to 4 week olds and 4 week olds can have attitudes . Just keep trying, but don't let her stay with them until she can take care of herself.

Back
Top Bottom