Kick Start to Laying - Hog Feed

featherfarm

Hatching
8 Years
May 25, 2011
I was recently complaining about my nonlaying birds and someone told me to feed them hog feed. They used to have 300 birds and said it worked for them. .

Obviously that wouldn't be a good idea long term because of the nutritional differences. Have any of you heard of kick starting laying with hog feed? I don't think I'll do it, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard of it.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Well I must say that is a new one one me. I just would put a light in the coop on a timer nad make sure their diet is complete. The reality is they slow down with age. Mine stopped all together for a month or so. They molted and went back to laying, but I'm still not were I was in production though. Chickens are like babies they get fussie. Good luck.

My feed for them is Layena, scratch, chopped corn, Alfalfa, veg. scraps, free range. Boiled eggs, oats, wheat,rye.

I know the woman that works at the feed store used to feed her chickens hog feed, because it was higher protein & she had hogs also. Worked for her I guess.

There are more wives tales, folklores, myths and hokum than you could spend a lifetime trying. I've heard them all. From cayenne pepper to you-name-it.

Hogwash. (pun intended).
big_smile.png

They lay when they lay. Period. Good feed, fresh water, fresh air and the proper lighting and then, they lay when they bodies tell them to, and not a day sooner.

Hog feed shouldn't hurt your birds if you want to give it a try. It's basically grain, just like chicken feed.

Or you could give them a couple of pieces of cat kibble every day. That's got good animal protein in it.

Basically, I agree with Fred's Hens. They lay when they are ready. Qualifying that with shorter days slow down laying, so lights seem to work, and if the hens aren't getting sufficient protein, they will stop laying.

Thank you so much, you all are so helpful. I've got the girls on layer feed now along with oyster shells ad lib. The 3 little RIR's are laying. It's the 5 BO pullets that I expected to lay by now. They are 7-8 months old now and the rooster seems to think they are mature enough. My husband wants to put lights on a timer in the coop anyway, so we will give that a try.

I love the common sense approach I see so often on BYC! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom