Kiddie pool for the ducks

Dori47

Chirping
Jun 1, 2017
so I see a lot of people mention that they use a kiddie pool for the ducks. We have had ducks about a month now and have a kiddie pool for them, but how often do you dump it out? do you just keep adding fresh water, do you use a filter and pump?
Later on we plan to put a pond in the back yard, but the pool is in their run. It isn't completely predator proof yet, so they only get out for a bit when we can watch them. Three bantum ducks are in a 25 sq ft house most of the time for now. the run is 8 by 20

I like to add a drain on the side next to the bottom so getting the water out is easy. I always dump/drain and add clean as I see it needs it. It setting on grass does not get dirty as fast as sitting on black dirt.

Last edited:
it is technically sitting on dirt, but with shavings piled up around it. The ducks dig in the dirt and run 10 feet to the pool with their dirty bills. there is a small container of water closer to the house for them to clean off in, but they like the pool. They actually will fly back and forth between the little container of water ( about as big as two ducks) to the pool

I used kiddie pools and had to empty and refill daily. So we added drains, see below, I got this from someone here on BYC. Finally we built a pond and have yet to put a filter in.
For the pool drains, cut hole bottom side of pool
upload_2017-6-12_18-5-7.png
upload_2017-6-12_18-5-19.png
upload_2017-6-12_18-5-33.png

All pieces are available at Home Depot or other hardware store. Make sure to cut your hole as tight as possible. Put the Male Adapter with an o-ring inside of the pool, add another o-ring outside and screw on the ball valve. No glue needed. Really simple.
You can also buy a hose adapter, which you can screw into the outer part of the ball valve. This enables you to connect a garden hose to it, so you can have the dirty water discharge anywhere in the garden.

upload_2017-6-12_18-7-6.png
3/4 In. x 3/4 In. MPT x MHT (Male Hose Thread) PVC Hose Thread Adapter @ $0.99

I don't know if this link is any good anymore, I can't open it with my browser but it is a rather long u-tube video that shows a pool elevated off the ground with a bottom drain

O WOW, golly..... it put the whole video in here instead of the link, neato!

so I see a lot of people mention that they use a kiddie pool for the ducks. We have had ducks about a month now and have a kiddie pool for them, but how often do you dump it out? do you just keep adding fresh water, do you use a filter and pump?
Later on we plan to put a pond in the back yard, but the pool is in their run. It isn't completely predator proof yet, so they only get out for a bit when we can watch them. Three bantum ducks are in a 25 sq ft house most of the time for now. the run is 8 by 20
We have 3 ducks. We currently use the "Crabby" sandbox as a pond. We dump and refill every few days. Our ducks seem happy with that. We will be upgrading to an 80gal pond with a 150gal biofilter this summer. We have all the supplies, we just have to get all our ducks in a row first

I use a kiddie pool. I drilled a 1.25" hole in the bottom and put a rubber tub drain plug in it. I dug a tiny drainage rut running out under the pen's fence. Every day I pull the plug, the water runs out of the pen and I refill with clean water.

unfortunately it is close to the neighbours property, so will have to connect a hose, but the tree it will be watering will really appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom