Kiddie pool or pond liner??

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
Right now Im using a 150 gallon stock tank that is sunken into the ground for my duck and goose to swim in

Im planning on taking the stock tank out and instead using it for a filtration system for my fish pond. The problem with the stock tank is its very deep and not so wide so they don't have much room to swim around in. Its got a drain on it and it seems just the right shape to be perfect to turn into a filter for my small pond. Im thinking of either getting a very large kiddie pool for my duck and goose to swim in or a preformed liner.
If I used the kiddie pool I would get a very large on like this
http://www.brandsonsale.com/itx-56453.html
If I did the preformed pond liner I would use something like this
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors/h...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Im not sure which one would be better. Obviously the kiddie pool is much cheaper but it also probably wouldn't last as long. The pond liner is better looking and longer pasting but is much more money
hmm.png

My plan is to sink the pool into the ground like I did with the stock tank and then make a filter out of a bin with pea gravel and plants growing in it. The water would be pump into the bin and then flow out clean again.
So what would you suggest, kiddie pool or the pond liner?
big_smile.png

That particular kiddie pool has soft sides-. I have had things like that in the past. The bottom is easily pieced by duck feet- and the sides can cause an issue for them to get in and out. The sides are kept up by the weight and depth of the water- so spillage when they get in and out was a big issue. I would stick to something more rigid for ducks and geese.

Quote:
Thats a good point, I wasn't really thinking about that part
lets see... pond liner is 160 gallons and kiddie pool is 565 (WOW, I had no idea the pool was that huge
ep.gif
)

Last edited:
Do you have a lowes or southerlands? i got mine (the one in my aviary thread) from there and my sharp nailed mandarins and bahama pintails are constantly going in and out of it and held up, its 9x6 and 2ft deep around 600 gallons and i just lined the edge with rocks to make it where there were only 2 entry and exit points, which the liner at these points are covered in a piece of shingling (gives a better grip to my one with a bad foot) and prevents tears

Last edited:
Sydney I have a similar inground pond like the one from Home Depot. I use it for my call ducks.

What I did was dig a hole for the deepest part and let the shallow sides rest on the ground. I then placed big rocks around sides and a few in the inside ledges of pool for them to climb in and out on.

I got tired of using a bucket to dip it out so hubby bought me a sump pump. Works great and gets all but the last few inches of water in bottom. I rinse and bucket out that part. Refill with garden hose and good to go.

I use a submersible horse trough heater in winter and they enjoy their pond when it is way below zero! The snow is several inches deep in winter pic.

callscottage016.jpg

Photo02041124_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom