Kids Chasing Chickens, Opinions?

Ugh. The one neighborhood terror stops by to torture my flock when they're free-ranging. I caught him once with his little sister, each had a bird in hand. I told them to put them down and never pick them up again. I told them that they could visit, but they were not allowed tormenting them, no chasing, no picking up, just watch. Well, the next day, the little brat was crawling over our 4-wheeler trying to catch a chick. I told him not to come back again. This is the same kid that tried to kick the basement door in when the BF first moved in. It was an "abandoned" house for two years, so apparantly the little heathen would come into the basement and play around in here. The sad thing is, he's maybe 10, his sister is 6 or 7, and they roam the neighborhood alone all of the time.

I don't really groove to all this kid hating and power tripping over children handling farm animals...my two kids 4 and 1.5 spend hours each day handling our chickens. They are awesome with them, and love them dearly, my 4 y.o is protective and keeps them on our property every evening when we let them wander our yard. At 7:30 I yell out, "send em home" and he picks up each one and puts them in their enclosed run area. They squat down for both of the boys and even allow my little toddler to pick them up...no wing flapping or excessive crowing. Happy chickens, happy kids...

Kids only learn this through interactions, not by parents telling them NO...I allow the neighbor hood kids into with our flock...and help guide them to properly handle them.

Lighten up and let kids interact and grow...

my two eggs.

Chasing for fun is not acceptable. My kids have always respected the animals we have,or any animal for that matter.

If someone chased my hen for fun I would let my dog chase THEM for fun.He likes to bite
tongue.png

Just kidding!

I don't let any of my kids chase them for fun, only if I need help catching one are they allowed to do it. I just explain that is scares them and they don't like it, it works
hu.gif
(mostly, my autistic son hasn't caught on yet and still tries every now and then, but he only wants to hold them)

My kids do not naturally chase the chickens. They had to be told maybe twice not to chase the chickens and they never have. They are concerned for the safety of the birds and when I explained that its not nice and scares the chickens my 4 and 6 yo never did it again, not that they ever really "chased" them to begin with, just walked toward them briskly lol.
If my nephews come over and get a little too carried away all it takes is one sharp "Dont chase the chickens!" and 'the mom look' to eliminate that issue.

I tell my kids and their friends "Don't scare the hens and the rooster won't scare you! He works for me and his job is to watch out for the hens. When you chase them he thinks you are a threat and will scare you." This is especially the case for two, three, and four year olds who may not be much bigger than the rooster.

I don't keep aggressive cock birds. The first time one of them jumps my kids without provocation he is done then and there. But even the best one can be provoked if you frighten his flock.

All of this said I encourage my girls and their friends to interact with the birds. The right way. The Kinder Major has her own flock of show birds and the K. Minor probably will when in her time. They gather the eggs every day and the rooster pays them no mind at all. Because he does not see them as a potential threat.

Back
Top Bottom