Kids & phones......how late is too late?

MuranoFarms

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Boyers, Pa
How late do you let your kids use the phone on school nights? Weekends?

When I grew up we weren't allowed on the phones after 9pm on weekdays. I don't think this is a bad idea. What do you think?

heck you are lenient..LOL

I gave my DS trouble because his GF called at 830...LOL no calls for kids after 800 cause his sister is in bed at that time..that was a weekday

weekends its 9 cause then I am in bed..LOL

Last edited:
Bedtime is 9pm on school nights... no games, no phones, no friends, SLEEP...

Hasn't been an issue yet... but mine aren't in their teens either... son's getting close and pushing for 9:30...

Doesn't help that Dad is right there saying 'let's just finish this last quest...."
roll.png

On weekends, they're pretty much allowed free rein... but after dark INSIDE or backyard only...
So, guess texting/talking would be okay... assuming unlimited minutes...

If you're on a plan with limited free minutes then I'd have to consider that too...

DH thinks midnight on weekend is ok. I thinks it's ridiculous!!!!! I think 9:30 is good for every day. When we were younger my mother would say that you don't bother people in their homes after 9 pm. Truthfully, if someone is calling me at home that late it better either be my mother or an emergency. lol

I can't use noise reason because they both have unlimited cell phones and they put them on vibrate.

Last edited:
Ok, I guess I am a monster. Before my son was out of school, he couldn't make or receive calls after 7 pm. Weekends 10 pm. It was the only way I could make sure he was getting homework done and not yacking on the phone. At 16 he got a phone in his room.

Oh, just thought of another way of looking at it...

Stick to the hours that telemarketers are confined by... no earlier than 8am no later than 9pm...

Particularly if you know the person you're calling doesn't have their phone on vibrate and that it ringing will wake up an entire household of people who will all be mad at YOU for calling...

Course that's dialing/incoming... if you're already on the phone at 8:59 then I guess you could jabber for a while... on weekends... when it won't hurt anyone... but again only if you've got unlimited minutes on your home or cell...

We don't have a cell, have before, but not now... does anyone know if they make phones where you can set a maximum call time? Like the governors on autos for speed, or the parental settings on the TV/internet for minutes/hours per day/week/month?

Oh... wait... what about your Christmas Light Timers? You plug that in, then plug in your cordless phone... at set hours it shuts off, thereby disabling the cordless... but NOT the corded/cordless phone in parent's bedroom (emergency calls)... at least then your kid can't be calling and waking others... and you'll be the one answering if any little twits call your house... obviously wouldn't work for cells, but it's a thought...

7:30 for my kids. Households are winding down for the night. As the kids get older I'll bump it up to 9, then they can get a job and pay for their own phones if it makes them unhappy, after that.
My kids are 14, 12, 11, 8 & 6. And I've got True Blood, Nurse Jackie, Weeds, Big Love, Dexter and Untied States of Tara to watch in the evenings.....go to bed!

Eek! and The Tudors! what was I thinking...

Last edited:
9PM school nights, but if you think as a parent you need to be more or less restrictive, that's up to you. I am only saying what the rule was here.

Never really had a rule--it depends on who is involved and possibly why. As for winding down, we usually don't eat dinner until 8 or 8:30. I am generally pretty careful about who and why I will call after 9, though.

Yep, no calls in or out after 8pm. We don't change it for the weekend, I guess cause we're just mean parents
lau.gif

Of course, we ARE mean parents already because those calls are being made on the . . . . . . . . . Home Phone -- God forbid!
th.gif
No cells for anyone but mom at our house - and the kids are 17, soon to be 15, and 11.

Back
Top Bottom