Killed my chick, more to do...(graphic detail)

Stormhorse, So sorry. What an awful thing for you and the chick. Chin up and be proud of your courage. You did the right thing.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. You know, it could be the inital accident with the cedar. The cedar doesn't actually make them sick per se, but rather weakens the linings of their airways which could have made them succeptable to what ever they have now. Kind of like smokers lung, even after they stop getting exposed to the cedar, effects can last longer.

I hope no more get sick. Best of luck .

Storm,

I've had to euthanize a few chicks. It sucks. If you intend to keep getting chicks
then please do yourself and the chicks a favor and use a sharp knife to cut the
head off. Your method is prone to failure. Trust me, I've missed with a hatchet once
and it was HORRIBLE.

You did the right thing. If anything you waited too long. We've done the hand
feeding and nursing thing and had some luck and a LOT of heartbreak.

Finally, when you post this subject here you are gonna get people saying
things like "Did you have too?" & "Why not just let it die on it's own?". Both
those statements/questions are illogical and serve no purpose. A weak chick
in the wild is usually left to die a slow death alone.

You gave that chick(and your others) a second chance(and 3rd, 4th & 5th chance)
at life then put it out of it's misery. I'm not sure what more you could do.

Don

Quote:
clap.gif
Well said PC. I've been trying to figure out a way to say what I thought about this and I didn't post because I couldn't find the right words. You did it for me. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Maybe the cedar weakened their linings of their airways and they breathe in dust from the current bedding and they die? It really isn't that dusty though. Could this cause them to act paralyzed? I'll do some more research on it

Quote:
They trust you to make the best choices for them and that is what you did.Im so sorry for your loss and very sorry that you have to be the one to carry it out,and admire your bravery for actually seeing that it gets done.

Maybe the cedar weakened their linings of their airways and they breathe in dust from the current bedding and they die? It really isn't that dusty though. Could this cause them to act paralyzed? I'll do some more research on it

The phenols in cedar shavings harm the liver as well. Shredded aspen is a good bedding to use instead.​

personally I doubt the cedar was a major factor here. You did everything you could for them and ended their suffering. That is the best any of us could have done for them.

Back
Top Bottom