Killed my chick, more to do...(graphic detail)

Im sorry storm horse you and the chick had to deal with this horrible delima, nezt though i woul grasp the chick in one hand between your thum, and endex finger and put the chick "in a head lock" possition and fasly sling your hand down realy fast motion, that will break the chick's neck and all it should kill the chick instantly with only flasping of the wings which is a muscle spasm.

I'm so sorry that you have to do that. It made me cry for you and your little chick. It was brave of you to do what was needed and not putting it off so that the chick suffered. Again, I'm sorry.

Quote:
You know how a lot of peoples chicks are getting ill? Well this one has been sick for a week and it down to just laying there and squaling, despite us trying antibiotics, sugar water, everything. She was totally paralized and when I showed my neighbor, she said it looked like she was decomposing. That chick already felt dead. I could move her legs around and they would hang helplessly.
sad.png

So alot of chicks are sick? Mmmmmm maybe I won't get more this spring. I am so sorry that you have to do this, I do not think that I could. Which makes me wonder....

Would putting them in an airtight box with starter fluid (the kind for automobiles not charcoal) be a no hands approach, that is just as humane? I read on here that if you are not going to process & can not to the ax/knife route that this was the "best" way to euthanize...does anyone know.....just in case this happens to me if I do proceed with getting a couple more.

When I helped her pass (to put it gently), there was no flapping, nothing. Instant relief for my little baby. Please do not use starter fluid. Inhaling that would be so painful on their little lungs. I did not do the knife way because I did not want to deal with touch the body, muscle spasms, blood, and seeing her tiny head in that state.

Last edited:
I'm sorry Strorm that you are having to go thru this. You are doing the right thing. No one wants to do it, but it's really kind of you for not wanting them to suffer. I know it's really hard on you....

You definately did the right thing - I had to 'euth' my first chick not too long ago and it was difficult, but I never felt remorse or doubt that it was the RIGHT thing to do - not the EASY thing, but the right thing.

And a quick chop or blow to the head is the quickest and least stressful way to do it.

Other methods such as starter fluid or freezing are easier on the human, but not as easy on the animal, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom