Killed my chick, more to do...(graphic detail)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormhorse23, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Because my mom did not want to see or do the task, I did. I took the sickest chick, a brahma pullet, and gently wrapped her head in the corner of a plastic bag and hit her on the pavement. She wasn't in there long enough to sufficate or gasp or anything, just so I knew I got her head in there. I have three more to do tomorrow. Including my favorite, my little Kieran. I never though I'd have to kill someone I loved so much. I feel like a murderer... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Why do you need to do that?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Her chicks have a sort of disease or sickness that she has not been able to cure, so at this point, she has chosen that the best thing to do for them is to let them go.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Did you have to go into detail?...

5. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Quote:You know how a lot of peoples chicks are getting ill? Well this one has been sick for a week and it down to just laying there and squaling, despite us trying antibiotics, sugar water, everything. She was totally paralized and when I showed my neighbor, she said it looked like she was decomposing. That chick already felt dead. I could move her legs around and they would hang helplessly. [​IMG]

6. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Oh, I'm sorry you have to go through that.... it's hard enough when they die on their own. But when you have to be the one to do it, it's even harder.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Stormhorse, I feel so badly for you. First, to have your chicks be sick, second to not be able to cure them no matter what you did, and now because you are having to do the tough thing and end their misery. Blessings on you.

Edited to re-spell.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  8. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    If she was that close to death then i would have just let her go out peacefully.She was probably only a couple of hours away from dying anyway.

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I hope people realize that Stormhorse is not exactly enjoying this...

10. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    I'm so sorry....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by