Killed my hen after she pecked my son's eye - 2nd time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad your child didn't get seriously hurt. Perhaps you might want to read up a bit more related in the flock management section before getting any additional chickens. One chicken will be lonely, as they are flock animals, so you need to consider what to do with your rooster now that he is the only one. The ratio of rooster to hen should be more than 1 to 1 as mentioned in a previous post, and unless you want baby chicks, you might want to just start out with a few hens. If you read up a bit around the forum, people suggest specific breeds that are more docile.

As far as kids and chickens. They can easily injure each other. I have 15 grandkids who come to see my girls, the youngest ones now are 4. I haven't used eye protection for my grandkids when they are around the chickens, but the ones who are younger than 10 or 12 definitely wear little gloves so their hands don't get pecked and pinched. We also have a bunch of "chicken shoes" (keeps the poop off their own shoes which their parents appreciate) in different sizes for visitors and make sure the kids wash their hands before and after touching the birds. I don't let any little ones under 7 pick up the birds -- I kind of treat it like picking up a baby - oops you could drop them and someone could get hurt. So the little kids sit either on the ground or on a chair and I put the chicken on their lap so they can pat them. I actually have only one chicken who really likes this, and you could carry her around until the cows come home and she'll just close her eyes in a contented way. the others just put up with it for a short time and then jump right down.

good luck.

Invest in some protective eye ware, like shooting glasses. You never know, he could accidentally fall and get a stick in the eye, it happens more often then you'd think.

Eyes, glasses, rings, finger and toenails, watches, etc. are all pecking magnets. Just keep them out of range.
LOL I get my darn painted toe nails pecked constantly! They can't resist them lmao

Since your son seems to really enjoy the chickens perhaps you might get him some bantams when he is older. There are some very docile breeds that are often handled and kept by children. Some of them are very good layers and setters too. I understand your fear for your child eyesight and despite what other's have said one can never be too careful of that precious faculty. Some hens are much more inclined to peck than others. It's not always possible to be watching every second.

L

No doubt let your kid be a kid. I know people who don't let their kids get dirty or play outside. I'm glad my parents let me get dirty and didn't let me sit inside and play games all day.

We could always wrap 'em in bubble wrap before they go out to play......
wink.png
lol.png

I would had probaly done the same thing as the op. I'm sure i have a different view on this than most on here. I've been raised around farm animals (which chickens are) all my life. My 7 yr old calls all our chicks supper and he has been told that they are livestock and not pets. We play with them and everything else and he's been taught that they will peck or maybe even flawg. So he understands to be careful around all farm animals.

If my dog would bite me or my son he will get the bullet also.

Hey Amoretsky
How'd the chicken taste?

We could always wrap 'em in bubble wrap before they go out to play......
wink.png
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif

This reminds me of brother complaining that his dog snapped at his 4 year old son that hit him in the head with a stick
roll.png

If it were mine, that would be a dog that would soon remember just what a stick is for....there is never a good reason for a dog to snap at a child. No matter how many sticks are involved.
tongue.png

Things happen, accidents happen...but one has to remember that an animal is just that, an animal. We can't expect them to be something that they aren't. A chicken will peck, a dog will snap..that's what they do when they are startled or injured. A 3 year old is not old enough to understand when to stop. If you smile at a chicken, it will peck your teeth! It's my 17 year old's favorite thing to do...close those lips fast so that they don't make contact...but he loves the look on the chicken's face when it sees those shiny teeth!

My advice, wait until your son is older. Or, keep the chickens and your son separated. If your son grows to love the chickens, he gets pecked, you kill the chicken...don't be surprised if he starts to feel that the death of the bird is his fault.

I have 4 children who I raised with chinchillas and akitas...with both, I made sure that they knew what they could or couldn't do to both. I have never had my kids bitten by one of my animals...but, they have been pecked by the chickens. And, having a rooster??? If he feels that his women are in danger, he can do alot more damage then a hen pecking....please be careful, unless you want him for your soup also.

I've always believed that prevention and education is key to safety... until he is older, keep him away from the animals unless he is properly supervised.

In my opinion children ought to be taught respect with ALL animals. they are lives too and its our jobs as GROWN UPS to protect and provide for the animals.
I think to kill a chicken for doing what it does naturally because you were 'too lenient' on your son is a poor excuse. Why not let her go to another home? You said she was friendly.
As for the bloke who would kill the dog for snapping when someones kid hit it over the head with a stick - at my house, its not the dog you would have to worry about but the owner.
Our family had dogs, horses, goats, rabbits, chickens all before I was born. Our parents were responsible and taught us respect. Nothing attacked us, nothing was killed, everyone was treated with respect.
Oh I am so grumpy about this. It really makes me so irritated.
Wait till your son gets older, teach him how to handle an animal, take the time to stop being so lenient and use that little two letter word more often!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom