killer dog

My husband and I got our collars from Cabela's but you can find them at petsmart or our local feed store even carries them. Just call around. And definitely be consistent. Especially if it has lab in it they are stubborn dogs for sure.

>>i know one time before he got ahold of one of my cats as well<<

EGADS...the chickens, a duck, your CAT! Looks like he attacks anything that movesruns. I hope you don't have a small child.

I would definitely get rid of this monster dog asap. He doesn't sound trainable to me.

Quote:
I think he is just bored. We had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever who had the run of an acre and I waited until she passed because I knew she'd kill chickens because she chased cats. Some bird dogs are just smart and it takes a lot to keep them from mischief. Our Chessy was just to strong willed also (the breed).

I don't think this is a monster dog. I never worried about my toddler ever with our chessy. Infact, she was very protective of her toddler. So much so that the toddler complained all the time when she went outside because the dog wouldn't let her run and play.

Along with the the shock collar I'd place the dog in the "pecking order." While the dog is on a leash feed the chickens something the dog would like also (like oatmeal). Tell the dog to "leave it" when it tries to join the chickens in eating (this could even be done across a fence but with the leash). When the chickens are done eating give the dog his dog food (in the same bowl) but make him wait before he can eat his food. Gradually make him wait longer periods for his food (I wouldn't go over say a full minute). This will let him know he is not "top dog" but far from it. This is what we've done and so far, have not lost a chicken (we adopted a 2 yr old German shepherd). It might take awhile but try the training before you get rid of one or the other. It is our humble opinion that all dogs should have to wait for their dinner and should only eat after being told "okay." Our dog also does not enter the home without permission. The "master/top dog" should always go first. He's a big big dog and that's one way to easily gain respect.

Good luck and keep us posted
Tweeza

Last edited:
Put the dog and a dead chicken in a barrel with lid...have hole's in barrel. Roll barrel down a hill about 50 to 75 feet...When you let him out, he will not want chicken's anymore
old.gif

We had an English Setter when I was growing up that was like that. She was also a bit gun shy, didn't like loud noises. So Dad, took her last kill, tied it around her neck and tied her up outside. . . during a thunderstorm. She didn't go after the chickens again. . . of course, she wasn't quite right after that either.
idunno.gif

I haven't heard of the thunderstorm aspect, but I HAVE heard about tying the dead chicken around the dog for a day.

THANK YOU Debby10!! We have to protect our more aggressive and lethal pets from our other animals AND dogs without limits often become statistics!

Right now my 4 cats and 2 dogs are eyeing my 2 week old RIR chicks. The cats are hoping that I love them enough to share.

I am hoping that my dog, Rose, remembers when she helped herd the roosters a few years ago, instead of the last wild rabbit that she killed 2 months ago!

Muzzle the dog and tie a short lead to it and keep it in the chicken pen tied up several hours a day. Keep a close eye on it, reward good behavior and scold when he's being bad. When you are done for the day, give lots of praise and a treat. Continue until you can eventually remove the muzzle but keep the dog tied. Eventually work up to letting the dog sniff the chickens up close. Be patient and praise when the dog is good. Work up to having the dog follow you into the coop with no lead for daily chores. He will eventually feel like it's his job to watch the chickens.

If the dog kills one, tie the dog out on a lead or put in a kennel. Keep dead bird very close but out of reach to eat. Every time you check the dog, point at the carcass and talk to dog in your angry voice. Keep it up for a week, then get rid of bird and give dog the happy voice and lots of treats. They learn fast if you are patient and consistent.

Quote:
Some report that this works. Some say their dog could not be trained.

Dog training is a lengthy process, lots of time, and some learning on the part of the trainer, is my experience.

I was not impressed with my experience with a shock collar, but again, some say they can be useful. With or without one, it will take a lot of time and consistency. And confinement/supervision until it is certain the training has been effective.

Back
Top Bottom