Killer squirrels

Frankgp

Hatching
Dec 25, 2018
Today i went out back to feed the chickens and to my surprise one of my roosters was pretty torn up i mean like lost most of his feathers he was in bad shape but he looks like he will recover. My chickens have a in closed coop they sleep in at night and its in a 20x24 fully caged run with a full roof i have seen squirrels in the pen can't find any way they get in i just seen here that some people have seen squirrels attack there chickens never thought we had to worry about squirrels too . We have hawks bobcats coyotes rattlers and now killer squirrels never a dull moment

I hadn't heard of that but never had a reason to look it up. We have squirrels around but they have learned to not come too close to our place. Our cat likes to kill them, eats only their brains, and leaves them on the doorstep.

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster, I hope he recovers quickly.

Best way I can rationalise why a squirrel would attack a chicken is that the squirrels get in the coop foraging and eating chixken feed and the chickens peck them or flog them and they try to protect themselves. That would explain the attack on the rooster. My chickens cornered a ground hog one time, he got very upset and began to hiss. I think he would have attacked one if I hadn't call the girls away from him.

Thanks for the input ill be keeping a close eye on the pen we have a lot of squirrels up on the mountain i have read a couple post that there chickens have been attacked and they saw it happing

Today i went out back to feed the chickens and to my surprise one of my roosters was pretty torn up i mean like lost most of his feathers he was in bad shape but he looks like he will recover. My chickens have a in closed coop they sleep in at night and its in a 20x24 fully caged run with a full roof i have seen squirrels in the pen can't find any way they get in i just seen here that some people have seen squirrels attack there chickens never thought we had to worry about squirrels too . We have hawks bobcats coyotes rattlers and now killer squirrels never a dull moment
Oh wow! Learning *something* new every day. We’re overrun by them. I’ll make sure to keep a closer eye on things.
Im glad your rooster seems to be okay. I jope he makes a full recovery.

Edited for missing word :)

Last edited:
F5FAE9B9-90EE-4880-B476-1CE22C9B1FFF.jpeg

I hadn't heard of that but never had a reason to look it up. We have squirrels around but they have learned to not come too close to our place. Our cat likes to kill them, eats only their brains, and leaves them on the doorstep.

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster, I hope he recovers quickly.
Thank you i think he will be ok he just looks like he went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson

I know squirrels fight each other, saw quite a bit of red squirrel vs. red squirrel this past year. Even felt obliged to break up a couple of fights at the bird feeder when they were really going at it over seed cakes. Hope your rooster gets better, poor guy!

I know squirrels fight each other, saw quite a bit of red squirrel vs. red squirrel this past year. Even felt obliged to break up a couple of fights at the bird feeder when they were really going at it over seed cakes. Hope your rooster gets better, poor guy!
Thank you he s eating and drinking i think he will make it

Back
Top Bottom