killing a dog that killed your poultry

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you know the dog has instincts to kill animals then you as the animal lover as part of your responsiblity is to see to it that dog doesn't kill people animals. so the real one at fault was a chain of events that started with an irresponsible pet owner

i do not shoot any animals at all. first animal i ever shot in my entire life. i don't shoot squirrels or rabbits or hunt. the dog had been wandering around for days, i didn't shoot it. i only shot it cause it ate it's way into the pen and killed the birds. i have no intentions of shooting any dogs just cause they are on the property. if i was that way i would have shot ten or more this year.......

but if i had been in the habit of carrying a loaded gun and saw the dog doing what he was doing i could have shot the dog on site and been legally ok. so i guess i have to carry a loaded gun around just in case i see a dog in the act. cause if i don't do that and have to go back for the gun..........either the dog will get away or i'm doing that SSS that they talk about here

sorry i think people are jumping on me and not understanding that i didn't just shot some dog for being here. i shot it cause it was having a guinea buffet after eating into the coop. if i had my gun on me and shot it on site all would be right with the world.

I lost my first beloved hen last weekend due to a strayed dog. the owner casually acknowledged his dog got out of the leash earlier that day. if I had a gun in my hand, I would immediately kill that dog no matter how much that owner loves that dog. it's ridiculous how there are so many dog owners out there who don't take care of their pets, and let them wandering around. I'm still feeling miserable and devasted over the loss of my beloved pet.

You are not getting what I am saying. Shooting a dog that is killing my birds is something entirely different than 'confining' it then shooting it repeatedley. It is the confining part that gets me.

You can do whatever you want on your own property, and I will do the same. But I will never agree with animal cruelty, so apparantly we will not see eye to eye on this. Good luck with your situation.

i didn't know the dog even had an owner. it appeared to be a stray. if i knew it had an owner i would have tied a dead guinea to it's neck and sent it home. maybe the guy would have gotten the message

From my experiences, I've given up on talking it over nicely with the neighbors. They are buttheads and they don't care what their dog does or if it even comes home. I'd rather not shoot a dog if I didn't have to and haven't had to yet (although the law here allows for it if it's simply bothering your livestock.) I've made a couple dogs disappear in the wee hours of the night and taken them to the pound a couple counties over where they'll not likely be found. I guess it's not really the dog's fault that his owner is a careless idiot. If a dog was too mean to manage, I would have to shoot it though (or a coyote.) Then it's S-S-S. Also, I went ahead and invested in a good fence for containing the chickens (which keeps the average roving dog out well enough) and this has saved me a lot of aggravation, worry and high blood pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom