Killing cones - cheap and effective substitute

luvmychixandducks

Songster
12 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Danvers, Massachusetts
I participated in a recent chicken process day at a neighbors farm and learned something interesting as well as useful.
The butcher was associated with a feed store, and sold the expensive stainless cones to hold the birds for killing-
but for his own processing operation, he nailed several road hazard cones to a horizontal plank folding the flap that the cone sits on up 90 degrees and nailing to the board.
He trimmed a couple of inches off of the rubber road cone to allow for more room for the chickens heads- they hang down lower with less constriction.
He told me in earnest, partly in jest, not to share his personal cone setup, as he makes a living selling the expensive cones.
I would not suggest stealing roadside cones, but have seen some damaged cones discarded, (run over, bases torn) and these did the job at a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
I like the bleach jug, do you also have the legs tied together? I'm just curious and getting ideas for next year when we are raising a DP flock.

Yep...zip ties. They are lovely.
smile.png

We have a couple stainless steel ones and a couple road cones. The stainless steel ones are nice because they wash out easily and the birds fit in them better but the road cones work fine, especially if you aren't doing too many.

that's what we have (road cones)

we have them in a saw horse-type thing. instead of one horizontal board, it has two that are spread far enough apart that the cone's squared base rests on them. works great.

problem is trying to find them
tongue.png

we're just going to get some flashing, role it up in a cone and rivet, as our cones have about had it.

Most hardware stores sell traffic cones. I'd rather buy a new one than steal an old dirty one. There used to be a guy on here that sold the ss cones. I'd rather have a ss one but they're expensive.

oh, i agree. ours were not stolen, but we've had them for 25+ years. getting pretty ratty

i wasn't aware you could buy them at hardware stores, i'll have to take a look in ours! thanks for the tip!
thumbsup.gif

I don't think I would want to use traffic cones, but seeing as I have worked road construction in my past, I am probably jaded.
I always hated the way they smelled, and would have to wash my hands in vinegar after a day of handling them to remove the plastic smell.
Definately not food-grade plastics.

Here is another alternative: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=243796

EDITED
for spelling errors.

Last edited:
won't be an issue. they're not in them that long, and then the feathers come off.

i wouldn't eat my lunch off them, but the short amount of time the chicken is in them won't affect anything. just be sure to wash them out well before use

You can make your own cones using any kind of cheap sheet metal such as aluminum. If anyone needs a pattern, I have one in PDF format that I can send you via email. Considering the small amount of time it takes to make one and the small amount of material needed, I can't belive how much premade ones sell for. I had less than $3 in the aluminum ones I made and they work great.

Back
Top Bottom