Killing cones - cheap and effective substitute

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by luvmychixandducks, Aug 22, 2011.

1. luvmychixandducks

luvmychixandducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Danvers, Massachusetts
    I participated in a recent chicken process day at a neighbors farm and learned something interesting as well as useful.
    The butcher was associated with a feed store, and sold the expensive stainless cones to hold the birds for killing-
    but for his own processing operation, he nailed several road hazard cones to a horizontal plank folding the flap that the cone sits on up 90 degrees and nailing to the board.
    He trimmed a couple of inches off of the rubber road cone to allow for more room for the chickens heads- they hang down lower with less constriction.
    He told me in earnest, partly in jest, not to share his personal cone setup, as he makes a living selling the expensive cones.
    I would not suggest stealing roadside cones, but have seen some damaged cones discarded, (run over, bases torn) and these did the job at a fraction of the cost.

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We have a couple stainless steel ones and a couple road cones. The stainless steel ones are nice because they wash out easily and the birds fit in them better but the road cones work fine, especially if you aren't doing too many.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    We got a road cone -- it worked well.

4. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    that's what we have (road cones)

we have them in a saw horse-type thing. instead of one horizontal board, it has two that are spread far enough apart that the cone's squared base rests on them. works great.

problem is trying to find them [​IMG]

we're just going to get some flashing, role it up in a cone and rivet, as our cones have about had it.

5. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    Most hardware stores sell traffic cones. I'd rather buy a new one than steal an old dirty one. There used to be a guy on here that sold the ss cones. I'd rather have a ss one but they're expensive.

6. Saltysteele

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    oh, i agree. ours were not stolen, but we've had them for 25+ years. getting pretty ratty

i wasn't aware you could buy them at hardware stores, i'll have to take a look in ours! thanks for the tip! [​IMG]

7. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I don't think I would want to use traffic cones, but seeing as I have worked road construction in my past, I am probably jaded.
    I always hated the way they smelled, and would have to wash my hands in vinegar after a day of handling them to remove the plastic smell.
    Definately not food-grade plastics.

Here is another alternative: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=243796

EDITED
    for spelling errors.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  8. Saltysteele

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    won't be an issue. they're not in them that long, and then the feathers come off.

i wouldn't eat my lunch off them, but the short amount of time the chicken is in them won't affect anything. just be sure to wash them out well before use

9. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    You can make your own cones using any kind of cheap sheet metal such as aluminum. If anyone needs a pattern, I have one in PDF format that I can send you via email. Considering the small amount of time it takes to make one and the small amount of material needed, I can't belive how much premade ones sell for. I had less than $3 in the aluminum ones I made and they work great.

10. eatmorechicken

eatmorechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    I don't use cones, I use rope. I make a loop on one end and pull some rope through to make another loop. Its pretty much a lasso. I hang them from a sawhorse. When I butcher, I grab the bird by both legs, open the loop big enough to put the feet through, then slide the loop down to the shanks. Its cheap and just as quick and easy to use as a cone. I prefer ropes to cones because I don't have to reach up into the cone to grab the head, sometimes the birds flop out of cones, making a bit of a mess of things. At least the ones I used to have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by