Killing cones - cheap and effective substitute

We've got 3 road cones we use for butchering. We set up a ladder laying flat between a couple of tall saw horses and put the cones into each of three ladder steps so they hang upside down, then put a bucket under the cone. We've started putting a zip tie around the bird's feet which allows us to hang the bird by the feet on a nail for easy plucking.

-DB

I just processed 4 this Monday. I used a milk jug that I cut the top off big enough to pull the head through and the bottom off. I then put two holes in the sides and ran a rope through so I had something to hang it with. The rope was ran over a hook and I would pull the bird up to waist level, slit the throat, and then lower the bird into a bucket and tie off the rope to where they were hanging about 5 inches off of the bottom. Blood stayed in the bucket, no thrashing birds, nice and easy.

My kids just do the rope, then lower them into the trash can under them. They claim they struggle less, even vs a cone. Got me. I have teenaged children, I do not bother processing my own birds anymore.

a cone (traffic, metal, whatever) is going to work better to restrain a struggling bird than any method in which the wings are not held tight to the body.

if they can get to the ground, they will run around, jumping as high as 4', spraying and splattering blood everywhere.

the cones hold the wings tight to the body (think straight jacket), so it's wings do not get broken in the struggle. the blood splatters a bit, but most of it is contained to the immediate area as it is not thrashing around. if the tube is cone is long enough that you have to stretch the neck a bit to get the head out of the end, the neck will retract back into the cone and virtually no splatter will occur.

I like to use inverted 2 gal. bleach jugs. They are very strong and last a long time, they have "shoulders" that seem to correspond to the shape of my birds and they are easily cleaned, replaced, removed.

Best of all, they are pefect for the larger CX and dual-purpose breeds without constricting their bodies too much:

6459_meat_chickens_processing_008.jpg

I made my own cones out of galv sheet metal... Look exactly like the pricey commercial ones. i think ive got some pics floating around of them and how i made them.....

Here's my collection, attatched to a metal yard swing frame:

7277_processing_station_001.jpg

I used 3 different materials to see which one I preferred, find that I use different ones for different-sized birds. I still like to tie their feet together because otherwise they can stick their feet in the cone and get themselves out. You also need to watch that your face isn't close enough to the feet for them to scratch you before or while they're Crossing the Road.

You can also just wrap duct tape around their wings & bodies a few times to hold their wings in place, and hang them from a hook by their tied-together feet. The cone just keeps their wings restrained so they don't bruise their meat, break their bones, or just generally make a mess flapping around with cut necks. I will hold their heads in place until they're still, to direct the flow into the waiting garbage can below.

Here's one I don't know if anyone has tried yet but I had a huge dog cone laying around. I cut it into two long strips shaped them back into cones and the screwed them to a wooden pallet. This made the whole setup mobile too and very easy to clean!

Back
Top Bottom