Killing cones inhumane?

Quote:
I use the brain pith method. The chickens do not flail around. I hang the chicken by a bungee cord and pith them, they go stiff and relax, the feathers stand out like "goosebumps" making plucking easier. They hang quietly while I slit the throat and they bleed out into the bucket I have placed underneath, not running around "like a chicken with it's head cut off" which was the way all my relatives did it when I was a kid.

I have heard of pithing but no one in our area does this. It would be great to see it done so that we can learn how to do it properly. Do you know of any videos online that show this?

The person that came and taught us how to process uses kill cones. He is very careful to make sure that from the time he has the bird in his hands until he has placed it in the cone he is as careful as possible so he doesn't break bones or hurt the chicken in any way by placing them in the cones. That would be the only time I would think that could cause them pain. The actual "killing" is done very quickly and with a very sharp knife so the bird dies almost instantly.

I hang by the feet, and then holding the legs in one hand and the head in the other, I quickly and firmly dislocate the neck by pulling out and forcing the head back in that order but almost simultaneously. For a while I was afraid to try it because it seemed complicated, but then I discovered it was actually quite simple (although there is a little bit of technique to it--I encourage people who've never tried it before to try to get someone to show them first, if possible). I can't say that this is any more humane than any other good method, but I don't believe it to be any less so, and I prefer it because it is similar in effect to decapitation, but there is no blood splattering around on me or my yard and then I have a clean and intact bird to pluck, rather than working around a bloody stump of a neck--and also it requires no special equipment like a killing cone or a hatchet and chopping block, just my two hands (and a single small sharp knife to dress it afterwards)--a kettle of hot water for plucking is nice, but not even essential. And despite what some people say, the carcass DOES bleed out just fine--but the blood collects inside the skin at the top of the neck, where it congeals, and is rinsed away when the carcass is cut up during dressing.

In fact, I slaughtered a biddy just this morning this way, and the smell of the stock pot is filling the house with it's fragrance even as I write this...
smile.png

My first priority is that the death be as quick and sure as possible, but beyond this I also personally appreciate a method that is as civilized and neat as possible. It makes my job more pleasant. It also is a nice touch when people might happen to wander by, as they are often pleasantly surprised and comforted to see how simple, tidy, and undramatic the process can be, which I think makes for a good impression when trying to convince people that slaughtering livestock for home use is not something weird, creepy, or gruesome, but just a normal part of life on a small farm.

As far as the "killing-cones-being-humane" debate goes, it comes to me that most of the people who seem inclined to debate one way or another as to some method being inhumane seem to tend to be the sort of people who are uncomfortable with whole idea of slaughtering an animal in the first place--regardless of method--and this editorial letter appears to be no exception. Such people's opinions are often clouded by their own inner conflicts, revulsions, and projections. IMO common sense suggests that all of the standard slaughtering methods in use (except the mechanical methods of factory farms) are pretty much equally and suitably humane when done right. It comes down to what you feel comfortable with, what you are able to take on with your skills and abilities and resources, but also, like I mentioned above, your circumstances and personal preferences of how you want to process--and possibly your cultural traditions or religious persuasion as well.

My one bit of advice to those who are looking into slaughtering but feeling ambivalent about the killing act: whatever method you use, just don't get halfway in a lose your cool--instead, see that your killing stroke is compassionate, but swift and sure--that's the best way to be humane, when all is said and done...

Quote:
Beheading had to be done properly to be more humane, if done badly the top of the head could be taken off, in Mary Queen of Scots it took 5 goes to get her head off cleanly. So in the hands of a bad executioner it could be terrible.

Quote:
I think this pretty much sums up the whole issue. Using the cone can be humane. It can also be inhumane. The kosher method can be humane, but I have also seen it go very badly. I've only seen a couple of Islamic Halal slaughters, and to me they seemed kind of traumatic because they didn't cut the throat deep enough to kill the animal instantly, it ran around for a little bit while it bled out. (They require that the animal cannot be restrained at all while it dies, so it is turned loose after the throat is cut.) But I'm not sure those were done well either. It's all in the hands of the executioner; a skilled and compassionate person can make it instant and as painless as possible, but someone who does not know what they are doing or does not really care can make it terrible.

When my animals are killed, they are quietly led or carried to an area away from the others to do the deed. (so the others don't see it) They are petted and talked to until they are dead, and because they are handled often by the people doing the job, they don't experience much fear. They are restrained if necessary (cone for the birds, a neck chain and tie for goats/sheep) and possibly even given a snack right before to make them comfortable. When the bird is placed in the cone, we will say something calming and wait until it relaxes. Then the neck is cut quickly with a VERY sharp knife (this is key for a good kill!) and they are dead in less than three seconds. Goats/sheep if they are very small are basically done the same, the person doing the kill squats down with the animal between the knees, pets and soothes it, then without the animal seeing what is coming, the throat is cut all the way down to the spine so that all the blood vessels in the neck are severed. They don't know what hit them, and they are in the arms of someone they trust, and they are dead in less than three seconds. (We know because we are feeling their pulse as it is done to be sure not to hang them until they are dead). Bigger animals that can't be held so easily or bled so fast are stunned/killed with a careful shot to the head and then the throat is cut.

I love eating meat, but I love my animals. I usually end up crying when we kill the bigger animals. (The birds don't bother me too much since they are less interactive than baby goats) I don't eat storebought meat because the way those animals are raised and killed is inhumane. I've seen what goes on in slaughterhouses and it outrages me.

Killing cones work well. The point is the killing, if you can't reconcile killing the bird then don't do it, i think.
Why put yourself through that every time you need meat?

We all live and die. It is as natural as breathing. All you really need to be is conscious of the art you are performing, be respectful but not guilty! Be glad to have the protein and thankful for a healthy bird. We all die. Die fast, rather than slow, isn't that what we do when we make a clean kill? What else is there to think about, other than a great feed or the pride we have in feeding others, our families. It isn't a sad thing. It is a happy thing to do. Reaping a harvest. No matter what you are eating, something is giving it's life energy so you have that energy. Vegetarians go through thousands of life forms, there is no difference between killing a bird or killing a plant. They both end up, a part of us all. Meditate and calm yourselves before the killing. Works for me. It will for you to. Happy slaughtering and happy holidays.

Back
Top Bottom