Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
It won't be that hard to get the pretty feathers out. Just pull out the ones you want to keep, then dunk the chicken and go after the rest. I have dry plucked a duck before so I know you can do it. I go around the yard picking up the pretty feathers all the time!

Yeah me and my twin are really guilty of this, we just love how beautiful they are!

I have a book I bought on butchering. That talks about something called "pithing" that allows you to dry pluck easier but only for a very short period after killing the chicken. It involves sticking a knife in the brain. I've never done it but some folks on here might know if it really works.

I have a book I bought on butchering. That talks about something called "pithing" that allows you to dry pluck easier but only for a very short period after killing the chicken. It involves sticking a knife in the brain. I've never done it but some folks on here might know if it really works.
I have hear this can be hard to do correctly. You have to get it in just the right spot. Does the book say why this would make dry plucking easier? I can't really see a connection.
idunno.gif

It's something to do with killing the brain causing the muscles that control the follicles to relax.

I need to look at it when I get home but it made it sound like it was a knife through the roof is the mouth. Then the follicles relaxed but that that was short-lived.

It's something to do with killing the brain causing the muscles that control the follicles to relax.

I need to look at it when I get home but it made it sound like it was a knife through the roof is the mouth. Then the follicles relaxed but that that was short-lived.
I just don't think I could do that. I woulf be afraid I wouldn't get the right spot...
sickbyc.gif

I just don't think I could do that. I woulf be afraid I wouldn't get the right spot...
sickbyc.gif
Not thinking I would have the nerve to do it either. Just reading the page in my book. It shows using a killing cone and you cut the jugulars first then when you push the knife into the brain it says you hear a squawk and that indicates success. That would just creep me out.

Not thinking I would have the nerve to do it either. Just reading the page in my book.  It shows using a killing cone and you cut the jugulars first then when you push the knife into the brain it says you hear a squawk and that indicates success. That would just creep me out.

... That sound terrifying... I don't think I'd be able to do that... I'll try dry plucking some then see if the rest of the feathers would dry out and retain their normal shape/color with the heat/pluck process

Back
Top Bottom