Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
WOW!! What a nice job you did showing how it's done. I have done many myself and still learned alot from this. Thank you very much!!
big_smile.png

I would like to thank you for your wonderful instruction. When I started, I never imagined processing a hen, but when the old game bird quit laying and started molting, I decided she had lived a rich life and it was time. I had saved her from a 2 x 2 cage shared with a rooster so she could live with my 7 production hens in the Shangra La in my backyard. She layed for 6 months and made a very good meal. Just one thing though - she taught me where the term "Tough old bird" came from. I'm still trying to simmer the meat to tender.

Anyway, my chef son and I could not have done it without you.

Thank you!

smile.png
that was awesome responce! I have learned...the older the bird, the longer the "cure"...4 days in the fridge, espically soaking in buttermilk, makes it tender as anything!!

I have never butchered a chicken, but I have a question in caseI ever do. Since I remove the skin when I cook chicken, could I skip the feather removal and just skin the bird? Would the hot and cold water make the skin easier to remove?

Quote:
All the pics are there however I needed to refresh my screen several times for them all to show. That's the first time that's ever happened and they all show up at once on the other forums this thread is on so I expect the server here is experiencing more traffic that it can handle right now.

I process my ducks in the same manner as chickens. Here's an 18 week old White Muscovy hen that dressed out at 6 pounds 10 ounces.

6.5_pound_muscovy_hen.jpg

They make delicious Smoked Duck!

smoked_duck_final.jpg

smile.png

Thanks for posting, really helps to see it in pictures like this.

Gotta say I am not looking forward to this though!!! I think I may decapitate as I don't think bleeding out is for me. We will see.

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank you for posting this. It really helped me a lot to study how to butcher, so when I went to do so with my three roosters last month, I had very little trouble. IN FACT, my only mistake was to not have the water HOT enough for the first bird, so it seemed to take forever to pull out the wing feathers. I boiled more, so the 2nd and the 3rd bird's pluckings were easy as pie. I'll be happy to raise more roosters and happy to take any unwanted roosters off of anybody's hands, now that I've eaten my own!

Thanks for the kind words. I've been helping a friend process Turkeys on and off for the last month. We'll be doing another 100 tomorrow in the same manner that I do chickens. They sure are a lot heavier though.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom