Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating, & Cutting Up Your Chicken - Graphic!

Pics
Wow. These are the best photos that I have seen of the process. Kudos to your cameraperson.
lol.png
I now almost feel ready to do this when I need to.
big_smile.png

lau.gif

All I can picture is me trying to process a chicken on our computer desk while scrolling through this post - step by step!

Quite awesome post - clear and informative. Thank You!!!!!

Excellent picture tutorial. I used your pictures today to butcher my first rooster. I can say it aint a rabbit, LOL. I managed not to cut the gut or bile duct. Thanks to your pictures as they helped a ton. I would have made a mess of it if not for you instructions. Happy holidays to everone.

And to the person who was asking whether scalding was necessary to pluck, no, it's not, but apparently it makes it a lot easier. We couldn't quite figure out the logistics of getting hot water outdoors - we don't have a propane campstove and I didn't want to use the good pot (which we use for making beer and cheese mainly) on an open fire, not to mention the difficulty regulating temp on a fire! So we decided to try it once without scalding. It worked ok, but it's really hard to get all the feathers. And it takes a lot of strength to pull out the wing feathers - I couldn't do it, actually, though DH could. So we'll probably scald next time.

Just a tip about how I do this, for those that are just doing a few in their backyard. I have a large stainless steel bucket but a canner or tamale pot from an ethnic grocery would work well too. I put it on my propane grill before I get started, giving it about half an hour. I check the temperature and when it gets to 140 degrees I turn the grill fire down to the low setting and start processing my first bird. My water seems to stay at the perfect temperature doing it this way, although I'm sure it takes more propane gas than I would care to use.
I can't use a wood fire here in the city and don't want to buy any sort of burner for the 25-30 chickens I process a year so for now this seems to be working. If I happen to see a single, electric burner like the kind used for canning for sale, cheap sometime I may buy it.
Anyway, just a little tip that works for me.
Another tip that works and saves a little money. Before processing, freeze a bunch of water filled gallon milk jugs. That way, you won't have to buy a bunch of expensive ice to chill your meat. I usually keep the birds in a cooler full of ice water in giant ziploc baggies for a day before freezing or cooking. I never have enough room in the refridgerator for more than one. If I do need to freeze right away for some reason, though, resting in the fridge after defrosting has worked just as well, if not better.

Quote:
I skinned mine, the smell of wet feathers grosses me right out.

X2 I can handle gutting and all but the smell of wet feathers is horrible, I thought maybe my birds were sick or something... is there any way to lessen the smell other than rubbing your nose with vapor rub or something?

Last edited:
Quote:

X2 I can handle gutting and all but the smell of wet feathers is horrible, I thought maybe my birds were sick or something... is there any way to lessen the smell other than rubbing your nose with vapor rub or something?

We did 50 birds when I was in my first trimester of pregnancy and super sensitive to yucky smells. I didn't think they smelled at all? We had Freedom Rangers which remained amazingly free of poo for meaties, maybe their feathers were cleaner?

Quote:

You can brain pith the bird and pluck dry. I've done that a few times and it worked amazingly well. I don't particularly like the pithing, it seems rather gruesome but many feel it's the most humane way to dispatch. It certainly makes the plucking easy.

Back
Top Bottom