Bleach jug killing cones, apple tree support:

6459_meat_chickens_processing_007.jpg

Copper kettle and scavenged outdoor stove, fired by charcoal briquettes:

6459_meat_chickens_processing_004.jpg

My antique, automatic plucker, The Mom~ model No. 75:

6459_meat_chickens_processing_046.jpg

Work station, courtesy of Sam's Club(table), Lowes(bucket) and Walmart(bucket):

6459_meat_chickens_processing_002.jpg

My DH is wanting to "DO" our older chicks this fall but after looking at these pics i KNOW im just not to the point to be able to be present! i am so looking forward to having our chicks to eat but im not ready to see them hanging from a tree!!!! hopefully one day i will be able to help with that, cause thats why we wanted chicks in the first place. Yall r all doing a great job and he is getting so many ideas from everyones posts! thanks
ya.gif

Here is our station that we've used twice now. It works but could be more efficient.

Two sawhorses support a sheet of plywood with hole cut out for the Craigslist $10 used stainless sink. Plastic sheeting can be removed after use. Cones were made by my son out of sheet metal and rivets. Birds bleed out into the sink and we have buckets under drains. We had to do this away from our guardian dogs where there is no electricity, so we heated water in our pressure canner on a campfire. We do the initial plucking away from the table--we've tried it by hand and with a drill plucker made by another son. Jury is still out on pluckers, and two daughters do great plucking by hand. When everything is off the counters, someone can do finish plucking on one side of the sink while someone else eviscerates on the other side. We use several plastic storage tubs with ice for temporary storage between stages, and one with ice water for dunking after scalding. Another big table would be really nice, as would hooking the garden hose up to the faucet area and a floor that isn't dirt. I took the carcasses into the trailer kitchen for the final rinse, dry, packing and weighing.

56316_p7030300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom