Kind of a complex question but...

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I know this is kind of a hard question to answer, but I was curious and couldn't find anything on the internet. I was hoping maybe someone on here might know something about this. My question has to do with the history of chickens and their evolution, and maybe also a little biology.

My hens were all 32 hours old when I bought them, and they had never seen an adult chicken before they were shipped to the feed store. I raised the chicks myself in a brooder, and they never saw an adult chicken the whole time they were growing up. But, somehow, they know how to do all sorts of chicken things, that they should really only be able to know if they were raised by a chicken. They know how to dust bathe and preen, they know how to scratch to find bugs, they know what plants are good to eat and which ones to avoid, and they know how to kill whatever animal they find. What I find most amazing though, is that they can tell the difference between a vulture and a hawk, falcon, or eagle, and they know to hide if they see the latter. How do they know this if they have never been taught? And, when they see a predator, the leader of the flock lets out a shrill alarm call to warn the other chickens. How does she know how to do that?
Recently, I bought four new little chicks and let a broody hen raise them. This hen was never a mother before, and, like I said, she did not have a mother herself. And yet, she knows exactly how to take care of the chicks. She knows that she has to keep them warm at night, she knows how to sit on them so that she doesn't crush them, and she knows which foods are good for them to eat, and which ones are not. How does she know this? She also knows how to communicate with them, and they understand what she is saying, but the chicks were hatched in an incubator and didn't see an adult hen until they were placed under the broody. How do they know how to communicate?
I know this is kind of long and complicated, but these questions have been nagging at me for a while now, and I've never been able to find an answer. I would really love to understand my chickens better, and figure out how they know all these things. If you could help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any help you have to offer!

Last edited:
Thanks for the very thought-inspiring post!
As an example of the "complex behavior" consider fear of humans. The chicks are probably innately afraid of anything bigger than them (or their mother, whom they've never seen), but they learn with time that humans aren't so bad, as we bring them food. Apparently anything that fits in their beak is at least potential food, but somehow they manage to spit out unacceptable things. I once saw a young drake pick up, mouth, then spit out a bolt that was laying around. That's part of what makes these birds so interesting, at least to me.

Thank you for the link. It was very interesting!

Thanks for the very thought-inspiring post!
As an example of the "complex behavior" consider fear of humans. The chicks are probably innately afraid of anything bigger than them (or their mother, whom they've never seen), but they learn with time that humans aren't so bad, as we bring them food. Apparently anything that fits in their beak is at least potential food, but somehow they manage to spit out unacceptable things. I once saw a young drake pick up, mouth, then spit out a bolt that was laying around. That's part of what makes these birds so interesting, at least to me.

I agree, their behavior really is fascinating, and that is also one of the reasons why I love chickens so much. I always wonder what they are thinking when they walk through a whole patch of seemingly perfect plants to eat, only to go and eat a plant of the same species in a different area of the grass. To me, it makes no sense, but I know they must have a reason for choosing that specific plant.

The innate business linked by @R2elk explains. Yet you can see huge differences between brooder-reared and hen-reared chicks. I split clutches up every year and see how the hen reared birds learn places and how to get to them much better. They also learn which innate responses are best for a particular situation, like dealing with a predator. Do you sound an alarm or fly hard well up into a tree? Where are the best places to find abundant insect hatches so you do not have to look around randomly to find the them.

I too have both broody raised and brooder raised chicks here, and agree with @centrarchid about differences that can be observed. Generally the broody mama teaches skills and especially predator avoidance behaviors much sooner, and her chicks are more likely to survive, at least a bit more likely.
Birds that have seen and survived a bad experience are so much more aware, and careful!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom