Kindest Way to Treat a Broody Hen

ChooksNZ

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2020
New Zealand
So it’s the middle of Winter here, and she’s only about 9 months old, but Betty has decided she’s broody. She’s sitting firmly on those eggs, just staring back at me, and refusing to move an inch.

This is my first time with a broody hen, so I’m trying to work out what to do. I have no roosters, so the eggs are not fertile.

In a bit of a panic, I’ve read the entire internet today (!!), but I’m still not sure what to do. My question is - what’s the kindest approach that’s likely to be the best for Betty? I’m not bothered about her stopping laying eggs, I just want to do what’s best for her - she’s a very spoilt chicken, and I’m definitely at the bottom of the pecking order.

Should I just leave her to do her own thing (which is my usual approach with all things chicken related), or try and break her broodiness?

Broody hens can lose body condition (weight, feather condition, have parasite issues) plus their hormones and behavior can cause some discord amongst the flock, so for those reasons IMO the kindest thing to do it break them promptly, using a cage.

Cage will do the trick in 2-3 days in most cases, if done immediately. Wasting your time throwing them out of the nest, locking them out of the coop, can take weeks and is impractical as it requires you to constantly be micromanaging the flock.

Yes, break a broody asap if you don’t have fertile eggs to put under, don’t want chicks or can’t have a bigger flock.

I never used a cage to break my broodies. But some people need it bc for some hens it seems to be the only solution.

I get the hen off the nest a couple of time each day , take away all eggs, and close the nest in the evening before roosting time. If I am too late to close the nest I put her on the roost after dark. Don't forget to open up the nest box(es) again before you go to sleep.

This works for my chickens. Takes a day or 2 , max 4.

IMHO : Never be the lowest in the pecking order. If you can’t handle you’re chickens you shouldn’t have any. Be firm and do what you need to do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I’m not keen on the wire cage method. She’s never been confined in any way, and I’m concerned that will be stressful for her, so that would be a last resort.

I’m not worried about spending time on a solution, so I’ll lift her from the nesting box as necessary, making sure she gets some food and water. I can close off the nesting boxes when they’re all turning in for the night, so that’s an easy step to take. I’ll see how it goes, and review things if she continues sitting.

A hen that is broody does not exercise or scratch, dig, or dust bathe on a daily basis. She will only eat or drink once a day which is not the norm for non broodies. She will loose weight and condition. She is prone to mites and lice in her sedimentary state.
You will not be doing her a favor letting her continue to brood nothing.
If you gave a ground cage or pen. Put her out on the grass each day, all day. No cozy dark spots to Nestle down and brood. At night put her back on the roost. Keep her out of the nest box. Will she like it? No.
There is no telling how long she will continue if left to herself, maybe months brooding. Some brood until they die.
You have to make this decision for her. It's called good animal husbandry.
Good luck with your sweet hen!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I’m not keen on the wire cage method. She’s never been confined in any way, and I’m concerned that will be stressful for her, so that would be a last resort.

I’m not worried about spending time on a solution, so I’ll lift her from the nesting box as necessary, making sure she gets some food and water. I can close off the nesting boxes when they’re all turning in for the night, so that’s an easy step to take. I’ll see how it goes, and review things if she continues sitting.
I use the "constantly" tossing them out method. I've got a revolving door of broody silkies and can't get use to the idea of a broody buster, so I just scoop them up and put them out of their nest every time I see them. Sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes a few weeks but each time I toss one out, she runs around and eats and socializes before she goes back to the nest and then eventually gives up.

I find it depends on the breed. I have a polish/appenzeller who will sit on eggs. I will see that she is in there open the box and she will hiss and spit at me I lift her up and take the eggs and with in 2 minutes she jumps out and is fine. I have a silkie who 1/2 the time if I take her out in the evening and put her on the roost she will be fine the other half she needs to be in a wire cage for 24-36 hours. Then there is my Russett, she is a bantam cochin. She needs to be in a wire cage for a minimum of 3 days. When I find her in the nesting box broody she does a great impression of a velociraptor feathers out wide mouth wide open LOUD screeching noise. (I think Spielberg would be impressed) In the wire cage she will pace, throw her food and water dish over, when she sees me in the yard she non stop squawks at me. I don't think she is saying that she loves me. Either way if your eggs are not fertilized you need to find your hens easiest broody breaking routine. Good luck. My Russett is on her 4th Broody round this summer. Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom