King Coops has BYC member's coops photos posted on their website...

I don't think its copy right infringement, unless prior to release it was copy righted or pending copyright. as well as bearing the proper marks identifying it as such.
any pics I summit are immediately viewable by the public which by definition would make it public domain as none where copyrighted prior. you cant just say this is copyrighted there is a process that must be followed.
as far as designs go many of of us snatch a thing here and there but most features would be beyond copyright and most likely covered under fair use laws and many have been in use and common knowledge for many years.

I also post to many other forums, so if I post here and it gets tagged with a BYC CR and then post to another forum does that mean they are in violation? again I don't think so.

I am against someone passing off someone else's work as there own, ethically it is wrong but legally I don't see a violation from my understanding of the law.

so if you want to discourage this the watermarks is a good thing but to have a leg to stand on you need to follow the copyright process.

Quote:
Actually you are wrong. Any picture you take you automatically hold the copyrights to. You don't have to jump threw hoops to do it. Proving you own it is the only issue, an why most people watermark. I'm pretty sure pointing out that the picture is of there yard, house, car is pretty good proof they took it. Building a coop that pretty much matched someone else's an posting pictures of it would not be infringment. Taking there actuall picture an posting it as your own is infringment.

From photosecrets.com
Yes, thanks to the Berne Convention. At the moment of creation, when the artwork is “fixed” in some tangible form, copyright applies automatically. For a photographer, when you press the shutter release you are making a photo and gaining copyright to that photo at the same time. You don’t have to declare copyright or file any paperwork. It is yours to keep until you explicitly give it away or you die (copyright expires after you, the duration in the U.S. is the author’s lifetime plus 70 years).​

As a photographer and member of other pet forums, this is not the first time some one has searched the web for good photos and then profited from them.

The photo belongs to the person who took it, embedded in your photo is some sort of id code that includes the camera/model you took it with. Just like with film photos you had a negative that proved you took the photo.

The problem is, that it is very difficult to win monetary damages against some one who used your photo with out your permission. It is much easier to just get your photo removed from a website that is using it. You can burn a dvd with small versions of your photos (a ton of them is okay) and then pay the fee to submit and copyright them. If you do that and some one uses your photos, you have a better chance at winning that cash award.

If you search eBay, you may find chicken photos you posted here being sold on everything from mugs to shirts. You can reduce that by only posting small sized photos to less secure sites and plaster your images with your name (in an annoying location on the image to make sure it is harder to remove) I have a friend that has found his dog photos every where from a vets website to the side of grooming vans to mugs at an akc event. He writes a mean letter requesting his share of the income to the business for the use of the images in advertising or requesting payment of $_____ for the rights to use the photo.

FYI posted photos are not in the public domain to be used with out permission.

I just sued them last year, you should update your post. They WENT OUT OF BUSINESS IN medford ny in long island and Dan never owned the business it was his dads. They never built anything. Everything was designed and built by the amish and drop shipped. They stoled my pics as well. They used to send the pics to the manufacturer and they would duplicate it pretty close with a few exceptions. Just wanted you to know incase they decide to start trying to sell again. And the number is diconnected now but it was a 631 number, guess he didnt want anyone knowing he still lived there. Wish I knew the manufacturer, The coops that they used to have built were pretty nice. With the exception of the crap chinese kits they used to buy and ship all over, my friend bought one and it fell apart in 2 months!

Last edited:
I wanted to chime in here. I purchased a coop from Dan at http://pennsyvaniacoops.webstarts.com/ He is not in Long Island anymore, but in Montrose PA. I was impressed with his photos of his coops, and realized after giving him a large cash deposit that none of his coops on his website were taken from his house. He promised me in writing that is would take 4 weeks to complete, but rarely returned my phone calls. He lied to me several times over the phone, and the day i was supposed to pick it up, it was not ready. I had to take time off of work, which i dont get paid for, and pick it up with some friends. He is a poor business man on his best day, but i can say that the coop did turn out well. It is constructed well, and the chickens are happy in their new home. I would not recommend doing business with this person, as i think you will only get lies, lies, lies. Buyer beware.

Back
Top Bottom