Kingston town needs help

Kingstontown

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2023
Hi my name is Stella & I live my chickens & rooster. I have 2 seperate enclosures due to having two roosters at the time. However sadly I’ve if our roosters recently passed. I’m trying to determine if it’s a good idea to bring out the rooster with his 4 lady hens to mingle with the older ladies who were separate to them , since their rooster passed. All the chickens greet each other over the fenced enclosure especially the rooster who he is very keen to mingle with the older ladies. His name is Kingston the rooster & has 4 hens younger than the other lady hens.. Kingston does this adorable happy feet dance every time the older hens walk by him.
I want to know if it’s safe to open both enclosures to see how they mingle. I’m anxious about mixing the ladies as I’m aware if the pecking order. Please give me your yhighfs & support on this idea? It would be most appreciated any feedback.

I would let them mingle and do their own sorting of rank. Depending on breeds some roosters can handle 12 or more wives and some only 6..... I have 2 roosters that fight over the girls but when the sun goes down they roost next to each other.... "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?"....

Welcome to BYC.
I did this. My oldest rooster died. His son had a seperate coop with 6 hens. They interacted through the fence daily. I waited a week after my boy died, then allowed them to mingle. After a few days the rooster moved into the coop with the older hens, then a few days later his hens followed him. There were a few little tiffs and still are some days, but with almost 30 hens, that's expected.

I would let them mingle and do their own sorting of rank. Depending on breeds some roosters can handle 12 or more wives and some only 6..... I have 2 roosters that fight over the girls but when the sun goes down they roost next to each other.... "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?"....
There is 10 hens in total. 4 are younger and laying eggs with the rooster Kingston. The other enclosure has 6 in total & they are of various age groups from 3- 5 yrs of age. 3 black two red & one Sussex

There is 10 hens in total. 4 are younger and laying eggs with the rooster Kingston. The other enclosure has 6 in total & they are of various age groups from 3- 5 yrs of age. 3 black two red & one Sussex
The normal ratio for heavy breeds like Sussex from what is published by one major hatchery is 1 male for 10 females so you are in good with the numbers so it would seem.

Back
Top Bottom