I am not familiar with geese. I have read about spondylopathies and kinky back in chickens. That is usually from a birth defect. It can be common for the chicken to have narrowing in the spine pressing on the spinal cord. Those chickens may sit with their legs forward, and may become lame or paralyzed. I have not heard of this being caused by fecal bacteria (enterococcus.) Do you have any info on that in geese?

Last edited:
He seems to have diarrhea right now. He’s done two of the last and then the first one in less than 10 minutes.

Attachments

• 980805B5-6DAC-4890-9031-10AB2B6A8FCB.jpeg
    980805B5-6DAC-4890-9031-10AB2B6A8FCB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 9F96EBC2-511B-4762-9AC1-0AF65FF6034F.jpeg
    9F96EBC2-511B-4762-9AC1-0AF65FF6034F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I am not familiar with geese. I have read about spondylopathies and kinky back in chickens. That is usually feom a birth defect. It can be common for the chicken to have narrowing in the spine pressing on the spinal cord. Those chickens may sit with their legs forward, and may become lame or paralayzed. I have not heard of this being caused by fecal bacteria (enterococcus.) Do you have any info on that in geese?
Unfortunately no, not for lack of trying either, most health information I find on poultry is about chickens with some on ducks, very few about geese and those are vague at best and only cover basic health issues like poisoning.
I’ve usually just relied on chicken articles because there I’ve found more information, even if it’s things geese don’t get because everything for ducks isn’t much better than that for geese either.

I think not a lot of medical study is done with geese, even my vet doesn’t know.

He’s still on his feet, I’ve been giving him antibiotics “Doxycycline 25 mg, Cephelexin 125 mg, cipro 125 mg, every 12 hours.
I ran out of Doxy however today. It may be good because I don’t like how many antibiotics he’s on, but on the other hand because I have no actual clue what he has it could be bad that I’m now out of Doxy.
I think they are suppressing whatever it is that’s going on but not eradicating it “so far” because he’s slowly regressing, his gait seems just a little bit more tipsy every day, but he’s still on his feet, so he’s surpassed the usual cycle of being up for 11 days, he’s made it to day 17 so that’s something.

His spirits are excellent, he’s eating well, so that’s something too.

I’m now looking into parasites as a possibility again.

Update of Roxbury:

He’s continuing to put on weight, his gait is completely normal, his droppings are more normal, and he has a lot of energy and high spirits so this is good progress.

Back
Top Bottom