kit options for chicken run?

Don't trust manufacturers and sellers of coops. They're trying to make money, not meet animal needs. There's no regulation when it comes to chicken coop manufacturing and selling. So humane animal husbandry is on you, not on them. The recommendation is 4 square feet of floor space per bird in the coop, and at least 10 in the run. You can cram them tighter than that, of course, but that can lead to problems.

This.

Granted that the plural of anecdote is not data, but over the years of reading this site even when I didn't have chickens and wasn't actively participating, it seems that the vast majority of health and behavior problems have insufficient space and insufficient ventilation as major contributing factors. :(

Another option would be a dog kennel for a run, they're usually pretty solid since they're intended to hold dogs.

Agreed. Chainlink dog kennel panels need to be wrapped in hardware cloth to deny access to weasels, rats, and grabby racoon paws, but they're made to keep strong animals from breaking through.

Another option would be a dog kennel for a run, they're usually pretty solid since they're intended to hold dogs.

You would need to do some modifications of course, like hardware cloth at least the bottom few feet (if not the whole thing), and cover up gaps on the side of the doors as they tend to be quite big.
I've been looking at dog kennels and chicken kennels. You are right, the dog ones are more sturdy and also more expensive, but won't need anchoring against the wind and should hold up to wear better.

I found a green house project online. The guy used a dog kennel as a frame for a green house by bending some rebar mesh sheets and using zip ties to attach them to the top of the chain link in the kennel. He also added PVC pipes as well for extra strength due to snow (then added some 1x2s to attach 6 mil plastic sheeting to sheath the greenhouse).
rebar_mesh.jpg

A farm supply store near us sells a 5 ft x 10 ft x 6 ft high dog kennel and the home improvement store sells rebar mesh sheets that are 7 ft x 42 in, so three of those meshes and a tarp over that kennel is a potential solution as a run.

Those prefab coops are mass produced to make money, not to provide long term housing for chickens. The one I bought this spring already needs repair because it's starting to come apart. You're much better off building something that will last and give your chickens plenty of room. If you can, build larger than you think you will need. Eventually, it will be too small because chickens are addicting.

Those prefab coops are mass produced to make money, not to provide long term housing for chickens. The one I bought this spring already needs repair because it's starting to come apart. You're much better off building something that will last and give your chickens plenty of room. If you can, build larger than you think you will need. Eventually, it will be too small because chickens are addicting.
Yeah, I wonder how long it's going to last. If only I worked in construction, then I wouldn't have to rely on a prefab :(

Yeah, I wonder how long it's going to last. If only I worked in construction, then I wouldn't have to rely on a prefab :(
If you have all the right materials and do a bit of research of how to build a chicken run. Nearly anyone can do it. It is worth investing into it as you can make it exactly how you want it to be as will generally last longer, if made sturdy. Don't give up hope yet.

A farm supply store near us sells a 5 ft x 10 ft x 6 ft high dog kennel and the home improvement store sells rebar mesh sheets that are 7 ft x 42 in, so three of those meshes and a tarp over that kennel is a potential solution as a run.

I'd be concerned about rebar mesh rusting in a humid environment like a greenhouse. Galvanized fence panels are probably better.

If only I worked in construction, then I wouldn't have to rely on a prefab

It doesn't take pro construction skills, just general handyman work.

Unfortunately, most US schools no longer offer shop class. :(

Do you know anyone who is handy who could teach you? Also, you can learn a lot via YouTube videos and from how-to books.

I'd be concerned about rebar mesh rusting in a humid environment like a greenhouse. Galvanized fence panels are probably better.

It doesn't take pro construction skills, just general handyman work.

Unfortunately, most US schools no longer offer shop class. :(

Do you know anyone who is handy who could teach you? Also, you can learn a lot via YouTube videos and from how-to books.
I've looked at some of the coop plans here on BYC. They look good, solid, and well constructed, but they look well beyond my handy skills (and tools), which is why I went with a prefab coop. According to some of the posts around here, the prefab was a bad idea all around, including that it will probably only last a year, but it's constructed better than I could build. Scary 🤨

I had a prefab that looked identical to yours. It was great when they were babies and could get them acclimated to outside living but by the time they were like 12 weeks old it was already too small. I had a local coop builder build a nice cedar coop with attached run and hung on to the prefab in case of emergency, bully, broody jail, ect.

Back
Top Bottom