kitchen scraps for chickens and ACV

blueheaven

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Central Indiana
3 questions:

1. how old do chickens have to be to get their first table scraps?
2. say watermelon - can i just cut it in half and let them have at it? what about the rind? will they eat it too?
3. what age should they be to get apple cider vinager in their water?

Quote:
We started giving them table scraps about the time they started laying - about 8 months.

2. say watermelon - can i just cut it in half and let them have at it? what about the rind? will they eat it too?

Yes! Let 'em go at it! They will usually eat right down to the outer skin, but (in my own experience) they won't eat the skin.

I'd say about the same time as you start giving them table scraps. (But if your birds are anything like mine, they won't touch the water if it has the vinegar in it. Fussy girls.....
roll.png
)

Hope this helps and answers your questions!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'm one of those people who swear by it! It not only aids in digestion, but it is full of beneficial minerals and also helps keep the waterers free of any mold of fungus.

You do need to use a vinegar that has the "mother" (it's the cloudy stuff that floats around) in it and not just the plain old ACV found on the grocery store shelves. I use the Bragg brand and have to get it at my health food store. Some peoples grocery stores carry it, so you might want to look to see. I also take a 1 to 2 TBS. everyday myself. For the chickens water, add 1 TBS. per gallon of water.
smile.png

Quote:
We started giving them table scraps about the time they started laying - about 8 months.

Yes! Let 'em go at it! They will usually eat right down to the outer skin, but (in my own experience) they won't eat the skin.

I'd say about the same time as you start giving them table scraps. (But if your birds are anything like mine, they won't touch the water if it has the vinegar in it. Fussy girls.....
roll.png
)

big_smile.png

Your hens started LAYING at 8 months? Can I cry? Mine are 22 weeks and not yet laying and I am pulling my hair out lol.
Vinegar...interesting! I may have to try this!​

Quote:

roll.png
)

big_smile.png

Your hens started LAYING at 8 months? Can I cry? Mine are 22 weeks and not yet laying and I am pulling my hair out lol.
Vinegar...interesting! I may have to try this!​

Some of my first ones did. All the rest waited and waited.... until about 10 months came around and THEN they started laying. I know how you feel!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom