Kitties and Cold...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Nov 10, 2011.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Can kitties survive temperatures under 25 degrees F? Mine are outdoor cats, than stay in a pen next to our birds, and we are going to Illinois this weekend and i'm worried about them.. They have 3 walls, and the front is wire. We are going to put plywood around the whole front but keep a little bit open so they can look around outside. Plus a heat lamp through the winter, but we are going to do this after we get back from Illinois.. Do you guys think they will be fine?

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:as long as the cats have a place to hunker down thats dry and draft free they should be ok. barn cats survive all year round in unheated barns

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    They have a draft free place in there, there is a blanket over half of the wood box I have for them.

4. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

they'll be fine, cats grow thick coats in fall if thats what they're used to.

so long as they're healthy, and in good weight, cats are pretty tough.

5. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Oh, yes they are healthy. [​IMG]
    My one cat, Cinnamon, is naturally thin, we are thinking because she was a rescue, and starved.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Provide a sleeping box filled with hay/straw/blankets and they should be fine. A VERY FERAL cat showed up here last winter. She spent half the winter living under a coop/loft that houses some of my pigeons. She finally moved to a utility shed where I provided a sleeping box filled with hay. She was sleek, shiny, and fat. After a brush with a coyote this spring, she left. I thought that she had been killed, but she came back about a month ago. She will no longer go near the shed - I think the coyote trapped her in there. I'm not sure where she will spend this winter?

7. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Cats are pretty tough.

8. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    My cats live outside all winter long, sometimes they sleep inside, sometimes they don't.

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Phew, thanks guys! I feel a TON better, we are having out neighbors watch over them. [​IMG]

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Heat lamps can be so dangerous...be careful. Our house burned from a light over some puppies and chicks in a garage.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by