Knee Replacement? Please share your experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

oldhenlikesdogs

Hope Springs Eternal
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I've recently been told I need both knees replaced, I haven't set a date yet, but I am pondering it. It was a surprise to me, but it does explain a lot of my pains and troubles. I guess I'm looking to alleviate some of my worries, and to know what to expect afterwards. I have had both shoulders replaced so I'm familiar with some aspects like pain and how long before your limb feels like it belongs to you again. So if you would share, but try not to terrify me, I would be so thankful.

I have one sister and MANY friends who have had knee replacement surgery.
old.gif
It hurts like heck post surgically but all say that in the end it was absolutely worthwhile. Do the rehab as suggested and best wishes for a successful outcome.

I have one sister and MANY friends who have had knee replacement surgery.  :old   It hurts like heck post surgically but all say that in the end it was absolutely worthwhile.  Do the rehab as suggested and best wishes for a successful outcome.
Thank you, everyone says it was worth it, but it's still scary to commit to it.

Two associates had knee surgery at the same time. One had both knees done, and the other had one knee done. The guy with the double replacement was back in the field (beagle competitions) while the guy with the single was still hobbling around with a cane. I asked the first why he recovered so rapidly as compared to guy number two. His reply, "Because I went to rehab every day and worked until I cried." Listen to your doctors, but I guess a big part of recovery is how diligent you are at rehab. Coincidentally one of my best friends is having a knee done as I type. I agree that it is scary to allow someone to 'adjust' your body. Across the board the post surgical response has been, "I wish I had done it sooner."

I am a PTA, and can attest that if faced with 2 knees that need replacement, I'd opt for having them both done at the same time. For this very reason: If there are 2 post op knees, it's not possible to baby the post op knee! The babied knees have much poorer outcomes.

I am a PTA, and can attest that if faced with 2 knees that need replacement, I'd opt for having them both done at the same time.  For this very reason:  If there are 2 post op knees, it's not possible to baby the post op knee!  The babied knees have much poorer outcomes.
That's one thing I was wondering about, I would love to get them done and over with.

Two associates had knee surgery at the same time.  One had both knees done, and the other had one knee done.  The guy with the double replacement was back in the field (beagle competitions) while the guy with the single was still hobbling around with a cane.  I asked the first why he recovered so rapidly as compared to guy number two.  His reply, "Because I went to rehab every day and worked until I cried."  Listen to your doctors, but I guess a big part of recovery is how diligent you are at rehab.  Coincidentally one of my best friends is having a knee done as I type.  I agree that it is scary to allow someone to 'adjust' your body.  Across the board the post surgical response has been, "I wish I had done it sooner." 
I did diligently do my exercises after each shoulder. I can be quite feisty and hate having limitations or having others do things for me. So that always drives me to improve as quickly as possible. I am eager to have it in the past, but am just at the starting line.

I was so shocked at the diagnosis that I didn't ask any real questions. I guess that's my next step, another appointment for me. Thanks for your encouragement.

Maybe even a second opinion is in order - depending upon how well you now and trust this doctor.

Maybe even a second opinion is in order - depending upon how well you now and trust this doctor.
I got a free one from my Nephew in law, he's an orthopedist surgeon. He said it needed doing too. I had actually expected a bad hip, not the knees to be so bad already. I had attributed my walking problems to my neuropathy, but now I can see all of it is coming from my knees.

The friend who had his knee done today (everything went well) was walking like a rocking horse, and it was starting to affect his hips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom