Knitters Club!

Very nice projects, everyone! I'm a knitter, too. My last project was a pair of baby socks I never finished that was supposed to be a gift. The baby is too big now. Oops. Anyway, these pictures make me want to get back to knitting soon.

Xiao Casa, what sock yarn did you use? I have not seen many sock yarns that I like, but that one is very pretty.

Very nice projects, everyone! I'm a knitter, too. My last project was a pair of baby socks I never finished that was supposed to be a gift. The baby is too big now. Oops. Anyway, these pictures make me want to get back to knitting soon.

Xiao Casa, what sock yarn did you use? I have not seen many sock yarns that I like, but that one is very pretty.

I used Paton's Stretch Socks, one of Paton's several sock yarn lines. Unfortunately it has been discontinued to make room for their more recent one, Kroy Socks, so it can be a little hard to find. If you manage to find it in a store (not online) then it is usually heavily discounted and almost gone. The colorway is called Spearmint (except for the toe and heel, where I used Nougat).

I am nearly a third of the way through the foot of the second sock now. Since these are knit cuff-down, that means I'm getting close! However, this is the last pair of socks that I will knit with a flap heel. I just recently discovered the Fish Lips Kiss Heel, and I think I'll like it much better.

hxgumdrop that fairy is so nice! I may try to knit dolls or stuffed animals soon. I really like this pattern for a knitted Mama Hen. It's just so adorable.

By the way, tatting is a form of lace making produced by a special method of tying knots. Tatted pieces are delicate and beautiful, but I find it hard to do. If you do a Google image search you will find many beautiful examples of lovely tatted lace.

I used Paton's Stretch Socks, one of Paton's several sock yarn lines. Unfortunately it has been discontinued to make room for their more recent one, Kroy Socks, so it can be a little hard to find. If you manage to find it in a store (not online) then it is usually heavily discounted and almost gone. The colorway is called Spearmint (except for the toe and heel, where I used Nougat).

I am nearly a third of the way through the foot of the second sock now. Since these are knit cuff-down, that means I'm getting close! However, this is the last pair of socks that I will knit with a flap heel. I just recently discovered the Fish Lips Kiss Heel, and I think I'll like it much better.

That's too bad it's discontinued. Oh well...Thanks so much for the information.

I like the look of that heel method. If you try it, I'd love to know what you think of it.

hxgumdrop that fairy is so nice! I may try to knit dolls or stuffed animals soon. I really like this pattern for a knitted Mama Hen. It's just so adorable.

By the way, tatting is a form of lace making produced by a special method of tying knots. Tatted pieces are delicate and beautiful, but I find it hard to do. If you do a Google image search you will find many beautiful examples of lovely tatted lace.
I love making toys as they knit up really quick although the sewing bit takes for ever probably as im not keen on the sewing part! but it takes time to make them perfect so it is worth it in the end. I love how the hen has a pouch for its chick! Too cute! Iv done a little hen that was done in pretty much one piece its on my website which Iv linked to my signature if you would like to take a look if there any patterns you would like to try I can email them to you.
Tatting looks amazing that is going to have to be my next thing to learn! Maybe I will pick it up better than crochet?

I still want to learn tatting. I recently found some good videos for learning it, but, easy though it looks when the woman in the video is doing it, I keep running into little difficulties as I try to tat. I'm sure I will get it all figured out someday though, and then I can make beautiful lace whenever I don't feel like knitting (though I have been dabbling in knitted lace.) The picture below is of a lace scarf I am working on. The picture is not very current and I am nearly at the end now, I'm just waiting on some more yarn! From now on I'm always buying two skeins when I'm not sure if I have enough... it's not like such nice yarn would ever work for only one project.

Crocheting is hard for me simply because I cannot seem to tension my yarn properly with holding it in my left hand, which, due to my awkward method, tires easily. I find knitting much more enjoyable.

That looks lovely! Iv been trying a crochet blanket which is getting there but as i want it to go all around me its started to get awfully heavy so its taking me a long time to complete! I prefer knitting as its easier to knit and watch tv than it is to crochet and watch tv i find i get to distracted by the crochet and miss the whole programe i was trying to watch! Do you have a local yarn store? Iv found mine to be really helpful when it coming to knowing which yarn to use and how much I will need and will even hold back a ball for me of the same dye batch if I cant afford it at the time

I like to knit and watch TV too! Usually only if I've seen the movie or show before, though. If it's completely new to me then I want to devote all my attention to it.

Though there are several yarn stores about, I usually buy my yarn from craft stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I do occasionally buy yarn online.

Where do you get your patterns from? I like to use Ravelry because the advanced search options make it so easy for me to sift through patterns and find what I'm looking for. You do have to have a membership, though, but it's free. I have also used Knitting Pattern Central, Yarnspirations, and All Free Knitting. I didn't like Knitting Pattern Central because it was so hard to find anything, plus several of the links no longer lead to the proper destination site. Both of the others are nice, All Free Knitting especially. You can find patterns for free and for sale at both Ravelry and Yarnspirations, the others as far as I know only have free patterns.

Edited To Add: I checked out your website, it's very nice! I would love to someday sell my knitted things, but for now I have plenty to do just knitting for myself and others. I don't think that there is any practical way for me to knit for sale, too, as I'm still in the throes of schoolwork/college. Maybe someday...

Last edited:
Iv found a few really good patterns on knitting central but it did take a good few hours searching through every link then they changed the lay out and iv not really gone back. The dolls that I do is a lovely book by Annette Hefford, I get a few from lionbrand.com which is free to subscribe and there are alot to choose from on there and you can save patterns for later as well as make yourself little notes like where you are on the pattern and the difficulty you found it etc. But mainly I buy Simply Knitting magazine each month as that has a good variety of patterns and it works with Allen Dart who I think is amazing, he designed the pirate and the queen of hearts that I have made. So in each issue of the magazine it has a new pattern from him that he doesnt sell the pattern for on his website.
I got signed off from work 4years ago so in the hope to stop myself totally loosing the plot I learned to knit and thought as I seemed to actually have a little bit of a flare for it I would try to share it! Iv not made any money onit as of yet but its given me something to do which was the aim! Then when I had gotten the hang of knitting the chickens came...everything has spiralled since then lol

Okay, so here's my latest project to (hopefully) resurrect this thread:

Sorry about the way they all seem to be turned on their sides, guess it's just the website having problems. This is a scarf I knit. The pattern is free and can be found here: Branching Out Scarf.
I knit this with Loops and Threads Payette in colorway Icicle. It was a 216 yard skein and I didn't use it up entirely, as I am a short person and do not need a long scarf.

Back
Top Bottom