Knoble Chickens Builds a Coop

How did you screw rebar to sill plates?
Again, nice construction.
I drilled a hole in the rebar and stuck a screw through it.
big_smile.png

This morning I pounded the 2 1/2 ft rebar stakes into the ground and screwed them to the sill plates. Spent most of the day working on the framing. The coop is framed and the rafters are installed. Lots and lots of screws. Had to come in when it got stormy and rainy, but the day itself was mostly dry. I was having fun controlling the tarp with all the wind we have had. At one point a bungee cord got launched into my neighbors yard when it snapped off during a hard gust.

Photo train!

Rebar stakes:

I have a question on the above picture. Why does the bottom board (the sill?) have those little marks all over it? The other boards are smooth, but those have what look like little finger nail imprints.

I have a question on the above picture. Why does the bottom board (the sill?) have those little marks all over it? The other boards are smooth, but those have what look like little finger nail imprints.
Those are pressure treated 2x4 lumber. The treatment leaves those markings in the wood. I used PT lumber at the bottom to help keep it from rotting as fast, plus painting also helps.

Thank you for answering all my novice questions :) Pressure treated on the bottom sounds like a great plan! Your coop already looks amazing. Just seeing the framing go up makes it look so legit

Last edited:
Nothing getting done on it for the past two days. Nasty weather, and other obligations are getting in the way. Today was nothing but a continuous monsoon, with temps in the low 40's. YUCK!!

I did get a couple things for the coop. Special bolts with rubber washers for the metal roofing, 1/2x3/4 inch electrical staples for the hardware cloth, and vinyl tiles.

Now if this rain will only let up.....
rant.gif

Nothing getting done on it for the past two days. Nasty weather, and other obligations are getting in the way. Today was nothing but a continuous monsoon, with temps in the low 40's. YUCK!!

I did get a couple things for the coop. Special bolts with rubber washers for the metal roofing, 1/2x3/4 inch electrical staples for the hardware cloth, and vinyl tiles.

Now if this rain will only let up.....
rant.gif

The staples, are they the steel ones?

Scott

Last edited:
Not if I hit them with a bit of paint..... or get trim boards installed within the next few months. It would take years before they rusted enough for it to become a problem.

Back
Top Bottom