Knock at the door...it's the cops!

Its happened to us twice. When my middle son was 2, he liked to play with the phone. I had the cops show up at the door. Fast forward 11 years. I had left my two boys under the supervision of my 16 year old daughter. I come home and see a cop car in the driveway and two cops at the door. Mom's Nightmare! I walk up the drive and ask what's wrong and they said they got a call. They had been ringing the doorbell, could tell that people were inside, but no one would answer the door. I did my secret door bell ring, the door popped open, they were all three standing right there, scared to death. I have always told them not to open the door even if its the police (we have fake police pullovers and push in robberies here sometimes). I was proud that they did exactly what I told them. The police were very nice about it. Turns out, my youngest (11 years old) had tried to call his dad, whose cell number starts with 917. He just dialed wrong.

My daughter and I were employed at the same place, and there was a silent alarm. She was leaning against the counter, and accidently pressed it ( its not that easy to do, it was under the counter top and you have to actually pull it). As were just standing there yapping, the alarm company called as 4 police cars are pulling in. Now, it wouldn't be too bad- but she was way over the age of 5, and it happened again a few months later.

been there and done that....my son now 12!) had a habit of calling 999 (UK emergency) when he was two years old.....this was because I was trying to "train" him that if anything happened to mummy (heart problems) just ring 999 and they will come to mummy......needless to say they ended up on first name terms with my son......argh...... glad he has now grown out of dialling 999....and realise's it is for emergency only.......phew!!!!!!

I can't tell you how many times that has happened to us. My sons ex-girlfriends phone number was 951-1.... The five on our phone sometimes didn't work. More than 10 times I can tell you. Same Sheriff each time too.

Both my kids have done it. DD when she was about 2 playing with the phone. Dispatched called back and my sister answered. No cars that time. About 4 years ago, the cops and the fire dept pull up in my front yard. They told me someone had called 911. My DD was 15 at the time and my son was outside playing and had been for awhile. Still don't know who called. They both denied it.

be glad yours did it on accident...when my 2 oldest boys were much younger, they decided it would be a funny aprils fools prank to call the fire department and tell them our house was on fire.
roll.png
roll.png

im walking down the stairs and i see the fire department on the lawn and i knew immediately what had happened. they werent able to sit down comfortably for quite some time after that little stunt!

the joys of parenthood!
lol.png

Happened to me once after a long day at work.

We have to dial 9 from out desk phones to get out of the office and I sometimes do that at home. Well, after this really long day I was at home dialing a friend and dialed 9 to get out, but forgot and did it again and then dialed the number 1-916....

Knock at the door, 2 cops... one was off to the side, I'm guessing in case I was a raving lunatic with a gun.

When I was a kid and they rolled out the 911 program, I remember TV ads with a kid dialing 911 and the mom taking the phone and saying "I am teaching my child to dial 911 in an emergency".

My dad was a cop and boy did they get the calls after that.

every kid has to do it at least one time...

I did my brother did..

I am trying to make my kids understand not to but I think every kid has to "prove" that it works..
roll.png

Quote:
gig.gif
That's exactly one of the things I told Austin. Now you know it works, they'll show up if there's an emergency. I also explained that by coming when there's no emergency they're further away from someone in trouble, so be careful when dialing!

Back
Top Bottom