Knock at the door...it's the cops!

kbarrett

Songster
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
PA
I was sorting laundry and I get a knock on the door and it's a state trooper. My first thought was she was looking for the neighbors as their driveway is unmarked and they seem to get visits from the law now & then. She asks if everything is OK, to which I answer yes, is there a problem? She says they received a 911 call from my address and the caller hung up. They called back but got no response. Didn't take me but a couple seconds to turn around and look at DS's face which was chalk white
hide.gif
. He had permission to call my mom & let her know we'd be picking her up in 1/2 hr to go shopping. He "accidently" dialed 911 before calling her.
barnie.gif

The officer was extremely nice about it and she said it happens all the time. Instead of throttling him which I was my first instinct we had another discussion about the 911 services and why you don't call unless it's an emergency. I still can't believe he did it!

That would be aggravating. How old is your son?

When I lived in NC, one of the area codes there is 910 and once I pushed the 1 too many times and had the police at my door in a matter of minutes. That was aggravating too. I had only dialed it as part of the number I called. Oh well, I'd rather them show up over an accident than not show up at all in an emergency.

Quote:
Don't feel bad. I did it once. My buddies area code is 913. I hit 1 twice
and hung up and redialed. 30 seconds later dispatch called me back and
a few minutes later an officer showed up at my door. My dad was a cop
in town. I knew them all.

When my son was like 3 my DD "talked him into" dialing 911. My husband and I were out at his mothers, which is like 500' back in the woods. The cops pull in the driveway and we high tailed it home. It was the county sheriff, an older gentleman. He said someone had dialed 911, well we knew who it was, the only one who didn't know better. He was nice about it.

It had been raining here for a few days and we have a gravel drive, with a gravel loop that goes around a tree. We told the officer not to get off the drive cuz the yard is like a sink hole after so much rain. Guess what he did???? He made the loop to wide and instead of backing up he attempted go forward, getting off into the yard. Of course he got stuck but instead of backing up he continues to go forward to get out. Sunk hisself clean up to the axles in his patrol car, lol. He had to call a wrecker to come get his car out and made us promise not to tell anyone cuz he didn't want to have to buy beer for his fellow officers, lol.

I also made the mistake when I was working in sales. I was at a huge corporation when I needed to use their fhone to call my boss.

I needed to dial 9 to get outside their office and 1 for long distance, and somehow did the 911 thing.

It shut down their whole phone system and sent the squads there with the lights and sirens going.

That was quite embarrassing eh? Sure wish I had a whole to climb in, right about then!
lau.gif

bigzio

When my son was 3.5 years old, he was obsessed with the phone. On occasion I would give him the phone, so he could "talk" to the "lady" (**the recording that tells you to hand up the phone) while I was changing his newborn sister's diaper. His conversation was animated, and he hung up when I was done with the task at hand. Withing a few minutes, the phone rang. It was the "lady". Apparently, my son had hung up the phone and pressed 911. The "lady" began asking me if there was any emergency at our home. I was so embarrassed, but had to admit what had happened. She thought it was funny. I never gave the phone to my son to "talk" like that again. Lesson learned. One day you'll look back fondly on the memory of the "incident"....I know we do.

When our son was 3 he was messing with the phone and dialed 911. The police and the fire dept both showed up since they couldn't verify the nature of the call. He dropped the phone so they were unable to call back.

The local park has an emergency phone that is just a single push button, red, right at children's eye level. Both my children have pushed it, so have several of my friends kids. I talked to the operator both times, and have been there when the police have showed up because a kid pushed it and walked away. Now the button has a cover. Always embarassing, you have my sympathy.
gig.gif

DS is 6. After further discussion I'm willing to consider that it was truly an accident. He was trying to dial Grammy's number with his eyes closed, our local numbers start with 933.

He's still losing priveledges just not forever as I first stated
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom