Knock kneed duckling that is terrible at swimming

ranchergirl

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2023
Hi all! I have been a chicken owner for many years but I am new to ducks. One of the ducklings I purchased is a peckin duck. He/she is a few weeks old and their left foot has been getting a lot worse. It is turned inward which I know will cause joint issues later on. I supplement the water with vitamin b complex from Tractor supply and I ordered brewers yeast for the food once I noticed its condition not improving. My other three ducklings, not peckins, are all fine. I do daily swim therapy in my bathtub but it is so bad at swimming. Is this a problem due to the foot? When it swims it does ok for a few minutes, dives like the other ducks, and is pretty active but then it starts to sink and the water goes over its nose which makes it cough and sneeze and struggle. I was wondering if I should tape the foot, and if so how I would go about that? I am also wondering about the swimming issue? Is it due to the foot, an unknown issue, or is it just lazy and bad at swimming? I should note it has plenty of opportunity to stop swimming but actively wants to swim. Thank you in advance! I want this baby to live its best life so if I can help I will do whatever I can.

:welcome

you should actually be giving this duckling b complex on its won. If the duckling is eating well then try a small amount of treat like dried mealworms put the liquid B complex over it or give it straight in the bill, but you have to be extremely careful with giving liquids by mouth. This link will give you info on niacin def and dose for your duckling. Keep adding to the drinking water for the others but this little one needs it without water which dilutes it's strength. Once they have a def the brewers yeast or nutritional yeast won't clear it up. They are maintenance. Pekins are easily prone to niacin deficiency because they grow so fast.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom