Knuckling Over - Puppy. Advice???

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
I got a Rot/pit mix pup from someone that had 4 dumped on her in her horse pasture at only 2-3 weeks old. hes about 5 weeks old now. I have never had an animal wiith this condition so I didnt know it was getting that from the last few days, but now he walks with his feet bent, its been like that for a day now, I looked it up and wrapped his wrists up from his foot and halfway up his leg to keep it straight on both legs, and am changing his diet tomorrow when i go to the store. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what you did for it? I read that it can be fixed simply at home so im trying to refrain from taking him to the vet as its not a big option Right NOW. though if it gets worse within the next day or so I will definetly take him, He doesnt seem to be in pain (gently squeazed his feet and wrists and he just wags his tail and licks me like normal) only thing is he walks funny. anyone whos had this problem what have you done for it? what did you change their diet to to get it better? any help will be greatly appriciated. Thanks

Also one other question, whats a really good wormer for puppies? the lady told me she had wormed them before rehoming but he has worms, getting treatment for that tomorrow to but decided to ask an opinion for what kind

Last edited:
Knuckling can be caused by a neurologic problem, or a tendon/ligament issue. If it's neuro, he needs to be evaluated by a vet ASAP, before it becomes irreversible.

As far as dewormer, what kind of worms have you seen? Rice looking tapeworms, or spaghetti looking roundworms? If he has tapeworms, there is no over the counter med that is terribly EFFECTIVE, there are alot that are available, but not that work well. Most puppies get roundworms when they are little, the dewormer of choice around here for that is Nemex, or Strongid, but get dosages from your vet, don't go by what is on the lables, and do not use horse dewormers on a puppy that young.

Good luck!

Quote:
ok thanks, I was also feeding him Kibbles, my grandma said she had seen that in one of her dogs and just switched the food and went back to normal within a week,

also heres some pics of him a few days ago before his feet got that way, He is a sweety

32404_5.jpg

32404_7.jpg

32404_8.jpg

32404_9.jpg

Hmmm...I haven't seen that before, that's not the neurologic "knuckling" that I've seen...when they're neuro, they litterally walk on the tops of their feet...

He's SUPER cute! I hope you get it figured out and that he's ok!!

Hey first let me say I am not a Vet. It seems to me that it is too young of a dog to be showing rapid growth issues? The dog in your reference pic is what looks like a Dane pup and much older than your kid. Is there a chance that he got into anything at your place or in your friends pasture? Are the any other symptoms, how do eyes look, stools?

The strongig is a good safe dewormer and generally recommended to worm all pup under 9 wks of age as a preventative measure. Can you take some pics of your pups feet to better under stand? As far as diet a lg puppy diet is prob best. Post some pics and I will ask my Doctors (Vets). Good luck best wishes. Nice looking pup

pride&joy :

Hey first let me say I am not a Vet. It seems to me that it is too young of a dog to be showing rapid growth issues? The dog in your reference pic is what looks like a Dane pup and much older than your kid. Is there a chance that he got into anything at your place or in your friends pasture? Are the any other symptoms, how do eyes look, stools?

The strongig is a good safe dewormer and generally recommended to worm all pup under 9 wks of age as a preventative measure. Can you take some pics of your pups feet to better under stand? As far as diet a lg puppy diet is prob best. Post some pics and I will ask my Doctors (Vets). Good luck best wishes. Nice looking pup

Everything besides his feet is perfect and healthy (besides worms of course!) and theres nothing I know of that he could have gotten into, he has grabbed a mouthful of cat food and chicken feed before but that was close to when I got him, I dont think that could have done it..? and it can be at any age, I read somewhere it can start when they start teething and eating and it comes from the food they eat and said to switch their diets, I will try to take pics in the morning because my batteries are dead and on charge​

Pup has rickets... put him on a quality PUPPY food and 2-3 tbsp of cod liver oil a day & let him sit out in the sun as often as possible, he will turn around in a couple of weeks.

He needs vitamins. You can make up a drench with geritol/cod liver oil and give a few drops a day. It is simpler just to buy puppy vitamins though. It should help him within a couple of weeks. Large breeds sometimes have this issue. Also use a really high quality puppy food if possible. If you can't find one, then consider feeding raw foods like chicken/cottage cheese/yogurt/etc. But just adding vitamins should help tremendously.

He has beautiful eyes.

Back
Top Bottom