Koda is doing much better with her training now) :D

DONT punish her when she comes back to you...all it will do is teach her to keep running from you.
Work on your "come" command.. and EVERYTIME that she comes (while you are training her..) give her a yummy treat...
soon she will WANT to come to you EVERY time because she will think shes gonna get a treat...

Even after you get Koda responding to your recall, it does not mean she'll stay in your yard.

You keep mentioning bounderies, you must understand that you do NOT have a TYPICAL dog. They do NOT "understand" the meaning of bounderies, they don't. They were bred for generation after generation to NOT understand bounderies. They are not territorial over "land" or "space" like most dogs, they are territorial traditionally over their "livestock". They do not understand bounderies, which is why it is an ABSOLUTE necessity to have a fence for your GP.

-Kim

I've found a underground electric fence at Wal-mart for $50.00. I'll get that with my Christmas money. It'll take alot of digging up the front yard (which is where she leaves her turf) but it'll be worth it if it keeps Koda inside her turf.

Also I sure do hope that she keeps them coyote's at bay Just today I heard 3 or 4 coyotes yipping and howling on the ridge when sirens from 4 or 5 emergecy vehicle's went by on the interstate. Koda went crazy with anger. She started snarling and barking. If I didn't have her on the leash she would've taken off after those 'yotes. Of course she might've been taken down but probably taken 1 or 2 coyotes down with her. Maybe after she grows up compleatly maybe she could handle more than 1 coyote.

Quote:
That is part of being a pyr. If they see it, they own it. You shouldn't chain her up. Get a fence or a wireless containment system. All pyrs will roam if they don't have some sort of containment system. They own everything they see. It is just their way. In her mind that is her property to protect too.

It's hard to have a dog that just won't stay put where we want them. It can be really frustrating to see them take off every time you give them any freedom. If you are chasing her she may think of it as a game. To get her to come when called, just randomly go near her throughout the day and say Koda- Come. Then give her a treat. Get her in the habit of expecting great things every time you appear. Never punish a dog that comes to you. You might want to enroll her in a class. They really help. I hope the training helps you alot. I raise hounds and we have to begin obedience training as soon as we get them. They were bred to run miles, and like Koda just don't know a boundary. We live in the middle of 47 acres, and they would still wander if we allowed them free reign. Best of luck with Koda. Amy

Last edited:
Quote:
Bingo.

Here's the thing... Any LGD worth its salt should be somewhat resistant to training because they've been selectively bred for their ability to make decisions independently for literally thousands of years. They must have the self-confidence to make decisions in your absence, since that's precisely the time when they're supposed to be working at predator control...when you're not around! An LGD that hasn't the confidence to be, nor think, nor work alone would have been useless to the ancient herdsman...literally...and would have had its genes culled.

I would never, ever, ever suggest that anyone own a LGD breed without sturdy fences. There's fear aggression built in to any decent LGD, and the dog's fear-aggression can be extremely hazardous to anything that scares it -- including people. If she runs down to the river and out of your sight one day and someone happens to come upon her and make her nervous...you could have serious legal problems.

Oh...something else that struck me as weird:

Quote:
If you're chaining her up for a few days to a week for each unauthorized excursion, how did she manage to do it four days in a row?

I'm not saying you should chain her up for days on end, mind you...I'm actually glad that you're apparently not really doing what you say you're doing. I'm just curious as to how the math works out??
lau.gif
gig.gif

Quote:
Have you EVER tried to train them anything? Our male will "SIT" if he sees the treat in your hand. Same with the ladies. If you don't have a treat to give him, he just walks away. The girls do come when called, but he doesn't. I think he is much smarter than he lets on. It's funny because the anatolian and the St. Bernards are so easy to train. They sit, lay, come, stay, etc. All the dogs heel well on a leash. But the pyrs don't do anything without KNOWING there is a treat available. But if they see those treats, they sit on command like pros. We haven't even moved on to other commands because they are too stubborn to sit without a treat yet. The pyrs just want to be with their goats, and see us humans as an acceptable intruder. The other dogs love humans and value their presence. The pyrs are friendly and tolerate us, but they prefer the goats.

Back
Top Bottom