Koda is doing much better with her training now) :D

4 Love of Baby Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
The middle of Middle Tennessee
Okay Koda's training is doing great except for one thing. Everytime I turn around Koda is across the road in the field by the river and she will not come to me. On Wensday, Thrusday, Friday and Saturday of last week I had to chase her a 1/2 mile down the river. After I catch her I chain her up by the barn for a few days to a week.

But does it work? NO!!!
barnie.gif
She still runs across the road. I'm so mad at that dog. She knows very well where her turf begins and ends. So why does she still do it? My neighbor came down the hill to chat with me and she brought her dog with her. Teddy and Koda started playing together while she was tied up and I figured that she was tied up enough so I let her. She stuck around for 1 minute and then she ran off. I was like, "Oh no!" I started after her and just as I thought that she was just running around her turf there she goes across the road into the field. I tried using Phsycology by calling Blackie. Koda usually comes when I call Blackie but she didn't this time. My neighbor and I went after her and I caught her within 10 minutes but she still went across the road 1 minute after I let her loose. She had been tied up since last Saturday of last week. I figured that her being tied up for 6 days was enough.

She has over 3 1/2 acre's of her own to roam around. So why does she still go across the road to that field? This is the 10th time this month she's done that. And everytime she does I put her on a chain.

What do I do to stop her from crossing the road?

Last edited:
I think you need to work on her recall command. Also, if she thinks that every time she comes back to you she goes on the chain,- why come back???? They can be very stubborn and prone to wander, and you have to make yourself more exciting then whatever is across the road. Spend time with her on a long line, working on her recall with favorite treats. Be consistent. Dogs don't know they have been on the line for 6 days because they were bad, they have forgotten in a few moments.....Give her a job to do to keep her interest, spend more time interacting with her. It can be very challenging w/o a fence...

I know that it is really hard to train Koda without a fence. She knows her boundries of her turf. I'm thinking that she is still being really stubborn and not listening to me. Also I'm thinking that my older dog Blackie corrupted her. Blackie is a old hound dog and she's been going all over the place ever since I was a little girl. And that's been over 13 1/2 years for her.

To protect our GSP and to keep him on our property and not the neighbors, we installed invisible fencing on most of our three acres. He doesn't have full range, but has lots of room to "manage" and patrol. I do not think this is cruel. He did take mild shock a couple of times when he became lax about his buzz warning. Better that reminder than being a dog pancake on the road or tossed in a ditch or peppered with bb pellets by an irate nearby landowner. The nice thing about the "fence" is that your dog does not connect the buzz, shock, or boundary to you. You remain his loved one, the one he'll do almost anything for...except stay on the property if your back is turned:) Good luck getting in charge of your runaway! ~G

Last edited:
Quote:
I ditto that! If you were reprimanded for coming, why would you? My GP has learned to come when outside the fence (when I check the mail or whatever) by saying, "Ludwig, come for a TREAT!" I used to have to be sure I had treats that he likes in my pocket so he could be rewarded immediately. Then, I just have to give him a treat as soon as he gets back in the yard. In fact, he's gotten good enough where I just have to sound really happy about calling him, and he's glad to come. He ALWAYS gets a good pet as a reward, and maybe a second or 2 of 1 on 1 play time. It does get easier, but you must be POSITIVE. GP's are very sensitive creatures, and hate to be trreated like...I don't know...they're "stupid" or "bad". I know - anthropomorphism (putting human qualities on an animal) is evil. but that's my take on it. Good luck!

We have a GP pup that's 12 weeks old. So far we've just been walking him on a leash. We don't have a fence but have been discussing an invisible fence. We know he'd love to roam the yard and spend some time outside without being on the leash. So far I've been so busy and so afraid that he'll take off that I haven't experimented with letting him loose. We have 10 acres but only a few are cleared. These dogs sure are something else though. It's been fun and educational so far.

One of the hardest things to do is to work with a dog on recall. When you finally catch up with the dog after she hasn't come, it so hard not yell, hit or otherwise punish. I'm afraid that by chaining the dog to the barn you had taught the exact opposite lesson you were trying to teach. Never chain a dog, ever.

There's only one way to teach a Pyr to come and it's the same way you teach any dog to come or really anything. TREATS! You need to be the world’s largest and best treat dispenser. You are in competition with a ton of more interesting things. Your dog must, must be convinced that every time you call her name, something is good going to happen and that’s far better than that silly old stream. Reward is the only logic that a dog understands. They almost never understand the meaning of negative consequences, but give them a treat for coming and the picture becomes very clear.

Good Luck,

Jim

what do you call and un-fenced/leashed Great Pyrenees?

A disappear-a-nees!!!!!

I think I read that in a book or online once when we first got out Pyr and honestly she doesn't know where her territory ends unless there is a fence to mark it and she will roam all over if shes not kept in. Though she respects her fences really well and even fences she could potentially jump over she stays in, she does have a big area fenced off to roam all the time but the minute the gate is open shes off to explore new places. If I have her out she is on a leash unless I feel like chasing her down because she may or may not come when called. She did go through obedience and is trained in a controlled situation but outside she just really enjoys roaming and comes when she feels like it.

Back
Top Bottom