Koda is doing much better with her training now) :D

Okay now she's quit going to the field across the road. She's been hanging around her 3 1/2 acre's and the neighbors 15 acre's. I much rather her hang around the field behind the house and the ridge where the waterfall is than cross the road. So now she has like 18 acre's to roam around which should be plenty of room for her.

Last edited:
I haven't had a GP, but from the various descriptions it sounds like they think the same way as a Bloodhound. They're not hard-headed as such, they just don't have the 'I should listen to my owner' gene that some other breeds have. This is what allows them to perform their job well. In the case of hounds, they need to stick to a trail no matter what the distraction; the GP needs to protect his herd no matter what else is going on. They are also very sensitive; they seem stubborn and like they could care less, but you get mad and you will hurt their feelings.

Breed tendencies aside, any dog that it contained to that extent is going to run off when it gets the chance. After all, it doesn't know when it will next get the chance to, and you've proven to him that staying home = boredom.

Again, I am not particularly familiar with the GP breed, but in the case of a Bloodhound an invisible fence is just not effective. If they're after something, they don't give two hoots about a shock. A proper physical barrier is necessary, both for their wellbeing and your peace of mind. An invisible fence won't prevent something entering the yard that he is incapable of handling.

Are the neighbours ok with her being on their property?

Quote:
Yeah...for now.

hmm.png

With all due respect, you're still not getting it..

A worthy LGD should have no more desire to roam than a cow, because roaming is a PREDATOR thing. Most dogs have a little predator left in them, even if modified...but that's not the case with a good LGD. Since good LGDs have basically zero prey drive, they should have very little -- if any -- inclination to roam. On the other hand, what an LGD does have in great abundance is wariness and a drive to protect itself. Almost everything a LGD does can, in one way or another, be traced back to the drive to protect itself.

So, your LGD seems to be "roaming"...why? Is it hunting...displaying a little prey drive, perhaps? For most dogs, that's a good bet, but for an LGD....well, let's hope not, or your chickens are toast. I'd say that's unlikely, though. In fact, I'd speculate that your LGD is "roaming" because you're forcing it to live in a house with no walls by putting it in a wide-open space with no boundaries whatsoever. Think of it this way...how would you feel if you were forced to leave the doors and windows of your home wide open, 24/7? Wouldn't you feel a bit vulnerable? I know I certainly would..

In fact, I reckon I might even be inclined to do a little "roaming" to see what's around before turning in. A little perimeter check, if you will....oh, and the size and shape of the perimeter is totally my call, since there are no boundaries. Maybe I can't see over the hill across the road, sooooo......are there zombies over there? I dunno...maybe I should go check before it gets dark. Hell, maybe I should continue checking until I feel comfortable that there's nothing over there to come across the road and get me in my sleep.

Now..I can tell you for a fact that our LGD appreciates his boundaries. They're the walls to his house, if you will. He knows where the weak spots are -- the gates -- and when a stranger approaches, he protects the gates just as you'd run and lock all your doors and double check the windows if you suspected there was a prowler lurking around your home. Nobody had to teach him to do that, just as nobody would have to tell you to lock your doors...you just do it, instinctively.

And if you really wanna see him go nuts barking and carrying on, act like your gonna open the gate in the presence of a stranger. He goes BERSERK. It's not because he wants out to kill something, he just doesn't want you opening his "door" to a threat anymore than you'd want someone opening your door to a prowler. In fact, all he wants is what you'd want if faced with a prowler...for it to GO AWAY. He's perfectly content for it to just go away without having to go through an actual confrontation.

There's a lot more I could say on the subject, but...well, just think about what I've said so far. Put yourself in your dog's shoes. Hell, go out there and spend a night with her...see how you like it. See if you don't start thinking "Man, I wish we had some fences and a gate with a chain I could hear rattle if someone tried to get in to kill me."

Just think about it..

Quote:
I think this bears repeating. A GP's "territory" is defined by the GP, OR A FENCE. Ours is on a 2 acre parcel that is completely fenced. He still thinks people walking by are on "his" territory, he just can't get to them. I've spent a lot of energy and time training him to come when called, and he always does. Excellent treats and a very positive attitude/voice are really important in getting him to respond. Good luck to you, and keep up the vigilance!

Back
Top Bottom