Kolache

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Equus5O, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

My grandmother used to make Kolache (we called it Crotch Cake. Don't ask!). I'd like to make it, but I'm having a heck of a time finding a recipe. Everything I find is for a cookie. I'm looking for a kolache with a nut filling and rolled up jelly roll style. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a recipe that seems like what I'm looking for?

2. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
  3. Equus5O

Quote:Thank you, but that's not what I'm looking for. My grandmother made it pretty much like a log, kind of like making cinnamon rolls, but the log isn't cut after forming. I suppose I can take a recipe such as the one you found (and all of the others that I found) and just modify it.

4. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Is this sort of what you are looking for?

Cinnamon Bun Babka

***Dough***
    2 heaping tablespoons white sugar
    1/3-cup honey
    1/2 stick butter (chopped)
    1-teaspoon salt
    1-1/4 cups scalded milk
    2/3-cup cool water
    2 large eggs beaten
    5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (If you can find bread flour you can use that and skip the gluten)
    3 heaping tablespoons vital wheat gluten
    2-1/2 teaspoons or 1 packet of yeast

***Put the first 5 ingredients into the bread machine in the order listed. Stir with a rubber spatula until the butter is melted.
    ***Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed and select the dough cycle. When the machine first starts you will need to use the rubber spatula to help mix the flour and the liquid or it won't mix well. Just stir with the rubber spatula until all the flour is moistened.
    ***While you wait for the dough cycle to finish, make your filling and preheat the oven to 325°. Spray a sheet pan with spray-oil, cover with wax paper or parchment paper and spray again.

***Filling***
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2-cup flour
    1-tablespoon cinnamon
    1/2-cup butter (I use real butter here-I've never tried margarine)
    ***Mix dry ingredients together, cut in butter. Place in refrigerator until needed.

***Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a floured surface. Coat with flour so it doesn't stick to your hands or the counter. Roll the dough into a large rectangle, 12x24 inches. Spread the filling evenly over the dough and roll up jelly roll style so that you end up with a 24-inch long roll. Pinch the edges to seal.
    ***Starting at one end and working your way down the dough a little at a time, twist the dough as though you were wringing out a dishtowel; the roll will get longer as you twist it. Do this gently as not to tear the dough but well enough that it is well twisted and almost doubled in length.
    ***Then coil the dough around like a pinwheel creating a super large cinnamon roll, tucking the loose end of the dough under so it doesn't unravel. Brush dough very well with melted butter to prevent a skin from forming and let dough rest for 10 minutes, then bake at 325° for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the Babka is golden brown.
    ***Make a glaze out of powdered sugar, water and a little vanilla. Drizzle this over the Babka and let it cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Equus5O

The babka looks really good, and I may have to try that but no, it's not what I'm looking for. When I made the comparison to cinnamon rolls, I meant that it's similar in that you roll out the dough, spread the filling onto the dough and then roll it up jelly-roll style. It's baked in the log shape, and then sliced for serving.

It's been about 25 years since I've had homemade kolach, so maybe I'm wrong but my mother has pretty much the same picture in mind as I do.

6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    When we make Kolaches we make them as individual buns. I usually make them out of sausage and cheese but I made some the other day with hot dogs for supper and snapped a picture of them. But anyway this what ours look like except I when I make them with sausage for breakfast I split them to put eggs inside.

Edited to add: The buns that have the red marks on them are marked to feed to the dogs. I dropped three hot dogs on the floor but went ahead and wrapped them and baked them then just fed them to the dogs.

Hot Dog Kolaches

Kolache Roll Dough

2 packages or 16 hot dogs

1-1/4 cup warm water
    1/2 cup powdered milk
    1/4-cup white sugar
    1/4-cup soft spread tub margarine – melted
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 egg beaten
    4 1/2 cups bread flour
    3 teaspoons yeast

Remove hot dogs from packages and roll up in paper towels and let sit on counter to dry and reach room temp.

Place ingredients into bread machine in the order listed. Turn machine on dough cycle and mix well. Turn machine off and allow dough to sit for 1 hour.

Turn machine back on dough cycle.

When the dough cycle has finished, portion the dough into 16 pieces and flatten each piece out, one at a time, with your fingers side to side. Making a long piece of dough about half again as long as the hot dog. Lay the hot dog down on the dough and pull the ends together over the dog long ways and pinch it. Then bring the side edges up over the dog and pinch them shut. Lay the dogs out in a large roasting pan and spray with cooking spray.

Rise for 30 minutes, bake at 375° for 12 minutes. Turn the pan for even browning and bake another 12 minutes.

Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  7. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Ok, I didn't look at the pics to see that they were little like that, instead of doing that, roll our into a large rectangle and fill like you said, I looked at the nut filling recipe not the pics! I use the long log method! I haven't found the perfect recipe yet, so I haven't tried the one i sent you, but plan to!

8. You are saying kolache, but are you referring maybe to a nut roll? Its made with a sweet roll dough, rolled out, you butter it, the filling is ground nuts, brown sugar, a little honey spread over it, rolled up jelly roll style; baked, cooled, maybe topped with powder sugar or drizzle icing and then sliced and served?

9. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

10. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

Quote:I surfed the web a bit and found this for you: Is it what you've been looking for? (The web page where I found this recipe is: http://www.squidoo.com/nut-roll
    That web page even has a photo of the finished pastry)

Hungarian Nut Roll Recipe
    For nut rolls, butter and sweet cream are important ingredients

Ingredients:
    1 square of yeast or 1 envelope
    1/4 cup warm milk
    1/2 pound butter
    4 egg yolks
    1/2 pint sweet cream (half and half)
    4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
    Let yeast dissolve in milk for a few minutes. Melt butter. Mix butter with beaten yolks in big bowl. In a separate bowl, sift flour, sugar and salt together. Mix yeast mixture with butter and egg yolks, sweet cream, and then flour mixture. Beat with wooden spoon or spatula until smooth or use hands to mix. The mixture will absorb the flour, cleaning the sides of the bowl. Shape into 3 balls and refrigerate overnight.

Roll out each ball into rectangle 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Sides will be about 12 by 16 inches. With paring knife, even off sides slightly. Spread with nut filling to within

1/2 inch of sides. Roll from short side up long side. Place the three rolls side-by-side on a 10 by 14 inch baking pan or cookie sheet and let rise in a warm area for

3 hours. Brush top with beaten egg. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

Nut Filling:
    1 pound nut meats, finely chopped
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    4 egg whites beaten to stiff stage

Directions:
    Mix together nuts and sugar and then add vanilla. Fold in beaten egg whites.

Use 1 to 1-1/4 cups filling per roll. Yields 3 rolls. --www.johnekolbasz.com.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by