Kraienkoeppe Thread!

See the two chicks in the bottom right corner, with the smallest head spots? Those should be cockerels.

Let us know at the end of the season if you get 18 pullets or not, Daniel!

Interesting, I'll keep it in mind. I always viewed them as more than likely the wheaten stock that will come out of the BBred birds, one is a very light coloration, I would not be surprised if it appeared as a Wheaten.

One (the darkest bird in the batch) I am almost certain is a cockerel, he just displays many characteristics, I even caught him having a little spar with one of the other chicks yesterday I believe it was.

I'll say Gresh, so far I am quite impressed with the birds. I'm not going to jump the gun, as I never like to judge birds until they are at least a 1 year old. But Kraienkoeppes commonly throw pea, single, and walnut as you know within America. They also have white legs. To my view, I have only one bird out of the batch that may not be walnut combed, and that is the little dark guy. I have only a couple that appear may possibly turn white legged but could just be a light yellow.

I also even got a decent look at most of the birds beaks, a lot of them appear to be rather Oriental like in the head/beak as they should be.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
I've had both silver and bb red kraienkoppes for 3 years now (Ideal and Sandhill). I too don't think the only males in that batch are the two in the lower right of the picture. There is a good chance you have some wheaten mixed in. I still haven't bred it out of mine. I like the birds a lot, but mine have been one big mix of genes. White legs, pea combs, mottling, white primaries, white earlobes, and long tails are all mixed in. I suspect someone had crossed cubalayas in at one time. I've already set a few eggs this year and will probably end up with 30 of each before its done.

The silvers are probably more to type, but all of the males have mottling on their breasts (I'd be interested to hear if anyone else's from Ideal ended up like that). I'm trying to breed it out by crossing with the bb reds and then crossing a gold male with a clean breast back to the silvers.

You should toe punch or mark the two lighter chicks just to see if they both turn out to be cockerels. If they aren't the only two, they're good candidates to cull and not breed from. Last year was the first year I toe punched the chipmunk striped chicks and this year I'm not going to have to worry about breeding from a male that I'm not sure is wheaten or not.

Good luck with your birds

Rich

I've had both silver and bb red kraienkoppes for 3 years now (Ideal and Sandhill). I too don't think the only males in that batch are the two in the lower right of the picture. There is a good chance you have some wheaten mixed in. I still haven't bred it out of mine. I like the birds a lot, but mine have been one big mix of genes. White legs, pea combs, mottling, white primaries, white earlobes, and long tails are all mixed in. I suspect someone had crossed cubalayas in at one time. I've already set a few eggs this year and will probably end up with 30 of each before its done.

The silvers are probably more to type, but all of the males have mottling on their breasts (I'd be interested to hear if anyone else's from Ideal ended up like that). I'm trying to breed it out by crossing with the bb reds and then crossing a gold male with a clean breast back to the silvers.

You should toe punch or mark the two lighter chicks just to see if they both turn out to be cockerels. If they aren't the only two, they're good candidates to cull and not breed from. Last year was the first year I toe punched the chipmunk striped chicks and this year I'm not going to have to worry about breeding from a male that I'm not sure is wheaten or not.

Good luck with your birds

Rich

Thanks for the info Rich, question, are your BBred chicks as dark as some of mine? As I mentioned, one is dark, I thought he was a black chick when I first saw him he is so dark, he is mainly seen from his back in the photo though. By the wing feathers, he is turning the same color as they all are, but was just curious. The most of the chicks are a darker coloration than I am familiar with in most BBred chicks.

God bless,
Daniel.

Glad to see this thred i have a very small flock of Koppes and we are getting a few more from ideal this year we have one hen thats perfect but the others seem to have white ears trying to breed that out and working towards getting them back to what they should be . i just love this breed they are a fun and very intresting breed . i would love to swap eggs or chicks in the future with some other breeders so we can keep some good blood lines going .

Glad to see this thred i have a very small flock of Koppes and we are getting a few more from ideal this year we have one hen thats perfect but the others seem to have white ears trying to breed that out and working towards getting them back to what they should be . i just love this breed they are a fun and very intresting breed . i would love to swap eggs or chicks in the future with some other breeders so we can keep some good blood lines going .

bigb, in your experience with Kraienkoeppe, what is the percentage of birds you have found have solid yellow legs to ones with red striping? I have been wondering this, as no one has really discussed this in my research; just mainly white ears, pea/single combs, high tails, and so on. The Dutch standard, which I plan to breed towards, calls for "Legs: good; medium-long, slim; unfeathered, yellow without red stripes."

Most fowl I have seen have always had red striping on their legs. It is not always so noticeable, but during breeding season especially you can see it. All of my games have it, I've got one cock that is usually white legged but now his legs almost look solid pink they turned so red.

God bless,
Daniel.

Would one of you who got birds from Ideal please post some pictures of your birds. I would like to see what mine are going to look like.

Thanks Mark

ok so the one on the left is my better hen but her leg color is light the one on the right great leg color but bright white ears so far i have gotten about 50% bright yellow legs and out of those about 25% with out white ears but now we are back to ground zero because i lost my cock last week so looking for a new one witch is very hard so i am ordering some more from ideal and i hope i get at least one nice cockerel .

Would one of you who got birds from Ideal please post some pictures of your birds. I would like to see what mine are going to look like.

Thanks Mark

Mcrooke, these are not my birds. Just ones I recall to memory, of the Silvers at Ideal. If I remember correctly, in my conversations speaking with George McLaughlin the silvers were some of the better typed fowl. The first picture below is a hen of his I believe came from Ideal (hopefully he doesn't mind me showing, you can find it with a google search). The other bird I believe was right here on this forum, also from Ideal.

A
ll-American-Chick's pullet (also found with Google).

G
od bless,
Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom