Kraienkoeppe Thread!

Pics
seabass, the pullets with the green legs are silver phoenix pullets not kraienkoeppe that I am going to cross with my kraienkoeppe to see if they turn out similar to a satsumadori or minohiki.

That should be an interesting cross. I do like the longer tails, just have some problem keeping them intact myself. When I leave the breeders in the pens the tails are nice, but I don't like watching birds in the pens. So I let them run together and the low man looses quite a few tail feathers. Below is a picture of a BBR rooster that has genes for a longer tail. Before they were "trimmed", the tail touched the ground and was quite full. If he didn't have so many white feathers, I would have bred from him. I think I have one cockerel coming this year with a long tail, hopefully he won't have so many white feathers. Rich

200x200px-ZC-330539f9_P1010058.jpeg

200x200px-ZC-ef673c8d_P1010033.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-aff748ea_P1010008.jpeg
ZC

ZC
200x200px-ZC-69f8d298_P1010021.jpeg

Some mixed pics of my birds. My first silver cockerel without the mottling on the breast. The next is three young ones seeing who can eat the nastiest stuff around. I'm looking forward to seeing what the golden cockerel turns out like, I have 3 or 4 pullets with the same pattern. What looks like a white earlobe on him is actually the tuft of feathers above the ear. I like the red color on the cockerel in the 3rd picture, but I'm afraid he looks like his wattles are going to be too big.

Rich L.

200x200px-ZC-ef673c8d_P1010033.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-aff748ea_P1010008.jpeg
ZC

ZC
200x200px-ZC-69f8d298_P1010021.jpeg

Some mixed pics of my birds. My first silver cockerel without the mottling on the breast. The next is three young ones seeing who can eat the nastiest stuff around. I'm looking forward to seeing what the golden cockerel turns out like, I have 3 or 4 pullets with the same pattern. What looks like a white earlobe on him is actually the tuft of feathers above the ear. I like the red color on the cockerel in the 3rd picture, but I'm afraid he looks like his wattles are going to be too big.

Rich L.
Fine looking batch of birds Mr. Rich and Mcrooke. Mr. Rich, might I ask if the birds are winter layers as in the homeland? I am wondering if perhaps due to whatever else has been added to them they have become regular spring-fall layers; the ones in Europe though are said to be excellent winter layers.

Living in Florida, I have a hard time using the word "winter". I just say its not as hot in Nov to Dec, and comfortable Jan-Feb. I honestly don't keep good enough track to say yes or no, but they seem to lay on the same schedule as my barred rocks and leghorns. Most seem to slow down or stop July and August. I haven't noticed any of the hens molting especially fast, where some of my rocks and leghorns will seem almost naked for a few weeks. All of my breeds start laying well again in December and are laying their best Jan through April. That is usually when I have the breeding pens set up, and when they are going it seems like they lay 2 out of 3 days. I've had the same 3 silver hens in one pen since Jan and now I'm still getting at least an egg every other day from each. Of course everything is messed up by TS Debbie, which is right over us now. It will be interesting to see what that does.

I am down two two pairs of silvers now. I lost 7 chickens to coons while I was up at Mayo clinic. I let on of the cockerels out today. I am not going to breed him. He is very mottled. My BBR cockerel follows me around the yard like a puppy. He is like my shadow. We named him Elvis,because he thinks he is big and strutts around the yard. He likes to go over to the pen where I have a bantam dark cornish rooster and start fights with him. It is so funny to see the little rooster try to get at one that is 3 times his size through the wire.

Mark

I started out with 15. I have 6 left out of that. I have 2 silver cockerels 2 silver pullets and 2 bbr cockerels. Coyotes and coons are bad around here.

Some new Pics.

The pullets with green or grey legs are Phoenix.

The BBR is Elvis
Nice looking batch of birds Mcrooke, seems like you've found you a great BBred start if you decide to go that route as well. I like the roosters type fairly well and his personality from what you described seems to be spot on for the most part from what I can hear.

Back
Top Bottom