Kudzu! If you know what it is please look here

Well, the plant dormant now. And the PO might mistake it for marijuana and the shipment will get 'lost in the mail'.

No that's perfect! You would just have to cut some off( it would have to have at least one node on it), put it in a zip lock bag, stick that in an envelope, and I can start it like that. And as a "dead" peice it could not be mistaken.

Also I checked it is NOT illegal to import here because no part of the state is wet enough to grow this stuff.

Come on guys :) I can buy seeds but it's hard to start them. This plant is designed as a creeper.

Last edited:
Invasive is because the environment allows a plant to beyond thrive. Kudzu needs moisture and humidity; New Mexico has not much of either. It would probably be difficult to get it to live, much less getting it to thrive. Texas has MANY climates. West Texas is similar to New Mexico, but East Texas is not that dissimilar to Florida. States do not typically have different lists of invasive species for one part of the state, but not another; if it is invasive anywhere, it makes the list.

Brazilin pepper trees are invassive in Florida; they are a prime landscaping tree in Arizona, and are definitely not invasive here--even with flood irrigation. It is just too dry.

Invasive is because the environment allows a plant to beyond thrive. Kudzu needs moisture and humidity; New Mexico has not much of either. It would probably be difficult to get it to live, much less getting it to thrive. Texas has MANY climates. West Texas is similar to New Mexico, but East Texas is not that dissimilar to Florida. States do not typically have different lists of invasive species for one part of the state, but not another; if it is invasive anywhere, it makes the list.

Brazilin pepper trees are invassive in Florida; they are a prime landscaping tree in Arizona, and are definitely not invasive here--even with flood irrigation. It is just too dry.

Thank you for putting it so perfectly :)

I really don't think so either now. However I would like to try it indoors now. I have looked at long lists of vines and the big thing I love about kudzu is that I could use it for salads and basket making.

I have decided to give up on rock hard dirt. I am now trying to work with the small lot behind the art gallery I own. At least it's much more protected.

I grow sweet potato vines indoors now but I would like to replace them with something not so, possibly poisonouslol

Don't know if you are familiar with briar root but Kudzu puts roots DEEP (it has been dug out at more than 20 feet) that forms a knot that can be more than 2 ft in dia. That puts out more root.mIt does need moisture. The man or men who brought it into the south to prevent erosion need to be standing on their heads in some back corner of hades. You really don't want it anywhere you expect to keep using land you have. BTW, in Ga. if it is on your land and spreads to neighboring land, YOU are legally reaponsible for the neighbors cost of removal or eradication. It's that bad.

You could try Scarlett Runner beans. They can grow up to 18-20 ft. They put out beautiful red 1" flowers and you can eat the young beans green and dry the pods for dried beans. They are an heirloom, open pollinated, non-hybrid. Wonderful greenery.

It'd be great to cover your house with, in the summer. It will grow a foot a day in the right conditions. Back in MD, it really was a nightmare. Whole forests were smothered by that stuff. Edible also is not the same as "good to eat".

Back
Top Bottom