Lab with skin issues

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Camelot Farms, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I took all of the advice from my last post 2 months ago and poor Alli is still itchin'. Not nearly as bad but she is still scabby. [​IMG]

I switched her feed to Science Diet for sensitive skin, plus she gets a daily dose of Salmon Oil (peee-uuuu) and I have a cortizone spray that I put on the worst spots. The worst spots are at the base of her tail and at the end of her spine. She also gets doggie benadryl pills.

Any other thoughts? I havent taken her to the vet as things are tough right now and I was pretty sure that he would just tell me to do all of the things I listed above.

Help!

2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    have you tried just giving her Benadryl? I have to give it to my GSD couple times a year. Makes them loopy, but it works, and yes, I got this from my vet.

3. Camelot Farms

Quote:People Benadryl? I have been using a product called EXCEL allergy relief for dogs. The active ingredient is Diphenhydramine. Been giving her 50mg twice a day.
    What dosage would I give her in people product? She weighs about 50 lbs.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    have you tried a hypo allergic food?..
    a lot of commercially produced foods are loaded with allergens even the sensitive tummy, or sensitive skin ones

there is a lab that lives next door... man he is allergic to everything... grass.. i think he is allergic to air too...lol

he is on a raw organic diet. once a week him mom goes to the health food store and buys her weeks worth of frozen food for him... nothing else worked even the vet prescribed diets...

5. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    people benadryl, and dang, I buy walmart brand for the dog and the kids. Just the normal dosage that you would give a child that size. I am at work, so I don't know- but it will be on the back of the box. Lordy, first couple of times its a hoot. I remember my drugged out german shephard falling over while looking at me all glassy eyed. I laughed so hard I woke up the hubby who was on midnights at the time. I love my druggie dog.

6. Camelot Farms

Countrywife....lol.

We have a cat with Summer Vestibular disease. He is permanently buzzed. Poor guy has to be lifted onto the table where the food is. When he tries to jump, sometimes he misses. I yell at our teenage DS's when they laugh at him but I am secretly giggling... that sounds so mean doesnt it?

I have some store brand Benadryl here. Will try that for a few days and see if it helps. Poor mama!

7. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    We to had a million dollar black lab...After many many trips to the vet ..scraping of skin for mites etc..shampoos ....we had him tested for allergys and it turned out he was allergic to rice majorly ...border line chicken,certain grasses and tree pollen .....we tried many many different foods ...everything has rice in it ...its usually the first or 2nd ingredient ....even had venison dog food shipped in ,fish dogfood...and I was told the dog had to be on the food for 3 months .or more ..ching ching ...hense the million dollar dog .ALLERGY SHOTS but he was still itchy or it was costing us a fortune and we had a new baby in the house ....so we ended up putting him on pretnizone...sp....which we were told was not good for his kidneys ...I had him on a very low dose enough that he would not break his skin from chewing and was comfortable. He lived until he was 13 yrs old . Best of luck ! I feel your pain !

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
  9. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:Can you explain why she is scratching? Also, how old is she?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  10. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Benadryl dosage for dogs is 4mg/kg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by